Chapter 11

Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Six months later...

"Welcome to Nigeria sir."

I smiled back at the lady in a uniform, quickly reaching for her hands just so I could take my passport back from her, not bothering to return her really weird smile.

Welcome to Nigeria!

It wasn't a dream, It was just as I had dreamed, just I had imagined, it was beautiful. It was beginning to feel so real. I was back, back to a country I hadn't been to in ten years. Even with my passport in my hands and my twenty-four kilogram worth of luggage being wheeled right behind me, I just couldn't believe it. I was back. I was home.

I took a deep breath, letting myself take in the beautiful weather. I was taking a quick scan at the crowd a few paces in front of me that looked like they were busy waiting for someone to walk out of the door but no one was there for me. No one was waiting for me. Not even him.

I could feel a tiny sigh escape my lips as I lowered my gaze back into my passport. It looked like nothing had really changed, not even the way they felt about me. My own family. Ten years and I still remained the son they forgot they ever knew. The son they were ashamed of. I took a deep breath.

You're finally here Jer, you made it home after ten years and there was nothing that was ever going to make me feel like I didn't deserve to be back. It was fine, I was fine, I had to be.

I raised my head just as I heard the screeching sound of car tires approach me. Did I say car? I meant cars. More like a small convoy that caused people to stay out of the way. I waited patiently like I didn't have an idea who the people behind those wheels were. I just had to wait till I had at least seen one of them until they all began to hurry out of the car. I could count about six of them in total from the three cars that had drove in together, all of them in black suits. I could almost recognize the first one talking into his surveillance earpiece with a pair of thick sunglasses over his thick dark brows.

Shit!

It was them, my family's bodyguards. I turned away quickly before any of them could recognize who I was, stepping away from the exit door so others could have a chance of reuniting with their loved ones. How could they have been right on time?

I wanted to have a quick look over my shoulder just to see if they had any clue where I was, even though I was almost sure my long dreadlocks were going to give me away the moment they looked in my direction and there it was, I could see one of them pointing his fingers towards me.

Come on!
I just needed a minute.

"It's Jeremiah Ozor!"
I heard a loud voice yell my name from the crowd just as I turned in the direction of the media that was already running towards me. Everyone else in the crowd were already focused on me, some had their phone cameras right in my direction.