Chapter 15: The Heir of Slytherin

Estela was in the library picking out various books from different sections, in the hope of trying to find out information about Salazar Slytherin's beast that was hidden somewhere in the castle. She had been searching for the whole morning and afternoon, but couldn't manage to find anything so far.

The door to the library slowly opened and Estela instinctively looked up. She stared for a moment at who walked in. It was Tom, but he looked completely different. He did not walk with his usual proud stride, he had a faint limp and his body curved slightly as though he was in pain, his eyes didn't seem as piercing and he seemed weak.

Tom caught her gaze but did not approach her, instead he looked away and went and sat in the opposite side of the library. Estela felt a pang of worry surge through her. She should be revelling at his weakness, but as much as she hated the feeling, she hoped he wasn't hurt.

Her curiosity got the better of her and she needed to know what was wrong with him. She had never, not once, seen him in such a state before. Never in all her years at Hogwarts had she seen him be even remotely ill or hurt in any way. He had this aura of invincibility about him, but now all she saw was vulnerability.

Estela picked up her books and walked slowly towards where Tom was sitting, approaching him with caution. His head was toppled over a black leather book, but there was no writing on its pages to her eye.

"That looks interesting." Estela said sarcastically, looking down at the blank book before Tom.

He didn't move. He didn't so much as raise his head. Estela knew something was wrong - badly wrong. He'd been hurt, but who in the name of Merlin would hurt him? Nobody dared speak to him at times due to his sheer intimidation. She couldn't imagine anyone being able to do this to him.

She slowly sat down opposite him, a strange feeling beginning to stir within her. "Are you ok?" He raised his head slowly and focused his eyes on her. His expression was cold and drained, and his face looked gaunt.

"I'm fine," he mumbled harshly.

She pursed her lips. "No you're not. What happened?"

"Nothing." He bit back, his face becoming more and more annoyed with each word Estela spoke.

"You're usually a good liar, Riddle." She said. "I think you should go to the hospital wing. You look like you're about to collapse any second."

"I'm not going anywhere. Just leave me alone." He said as his head dropped back down to look at the small black book.

"Fine. Don't tell me what happened and lie to me some more, why don't you?"

She could tell he couldn't be bothered by the meagreness of his response. "Just go, Markorp."

Estela scoffed. "I will." She shot at him. "But seeing as I'm a decent person, would you like me to get you anything, seeing something is blatantly wrong?"

Tom's body stiffened slightly at her words. He felt his weakness and despised it. He imagined what he must look like. Weak. He despised the notion. He felt vulnerable and hated the fact that Estela felt sorry for him. He didn't want to be seen like that. His head flew back up again and his face seemed to suddenly become more alive.

"Just leave me alone." He hissed darkly, his eyes cutting into Estela's like knives as he spoke.

She hesitated, but she knew that pressing him further would only make him angrier. She inclined her head slightly and without another word, she stood up and went back to where she had been sitting.