Spencer

I toss and turn in bed for what feels like forever. Only an hour has gone by, but I can't get to sleep without Allie next to me.

Knowing she's mad at me doesn't help the situation either.

I shouldn't have talked to her the way I did. She kept her head on straight and stayed calm with me, only wanting to discuss it further.

When she asked how my mom was feeling, my heart snapped. It's been three weeks and my mom still doesn't know. The last time I'd visited with her, it took awhile to get her to recognize me. She'd shared some stories about when her and dad met, and I listened, even though I didn't really want to.

She talked about him like she'd never stopped loving him. Maybe it's the Alzheimer's, maybe she never did stop loving him. Either way, I think she'll be devastated.

Maybe it'd be best if I went, to tell my mom and help her through it.

I hop out of bed and grab a blanket and a pillow before making my way downstairs and setting up camp on the floor in front of the couch. The light snores coming from Allie ease my nerves as I close my eyes.

Maybe she'll come up to bed?

I sit up and gently nudge her. "Al?"

"Mmm," She hums, stirring the tiniest bit.

"Come up to bed, honey. Please," I beg, keeping my hand on her arm.

"No, Spence," She groans. "I told you, I'm staying here. Go back to bed."

I sigh and lay back down. I'm staying here, too.

After a little while, I fall asleep. I wake up in the morning to Klaus licking the tip of my nose. I scratch his back and he meows before hopping onto the couch to snuggle up in front of Allie.

I have to get ready for work...

I press a kiss to her head before getting up and heading upstairs to take a shower and get dressed.

By the time I'm ready, Allie is still sleeping. She's gonna be late for school. I pick my blanket up and fold it, setting it down on the arm of the couch by Allie's feet. I set the pillow on top, too.

"Hey. Honey, wake up," I nudge her, earning an annoyed whine. "You have school, baby. Get up."

"School is over, Spence. I did the rest of my exams yesterday," Allie says through a yawn, not opening her eyes.

"You crammed all of your exams into two days? You're taking five courses, Allie."

"It's fine, Spence. I was sure of every answer. I did well, don't worry about it," She gently hugs Klaus.

"We should have celebrated you being done with school, Allie."

She opens her eyes and looks up at me. "It's not a really big deal."

"Al, it is!" I smile at her, crouching beside the sofa.

Allie just shrugs and pulls the blanket up further, covering up to her nose. "You should call in sick with me."

"Well, it would give me more time to research flights. Then again, it'd look sort of fishy if I take vacation days this weekend and call in sick today."

"Flights?" She furrows her brow at me. "Did you change your mind?"

I bite my lip.

I did change my mind, only because of what she said about my mom. My mom would be devastated if she missed his funeral. She'll be upset enough as it is.

I nod my head. "I did, but... we're only going to be with my mom. The funeral is just something that happens to be during our time there visiting her."