Chapter 8 - First Day Inside

Michael arrived at just after seven forty-five, well before his prescribed nine o'clock start time. The over-powering opulence of the main reception area was, as usual, gobsmacking. He'd been there on many occasions while working for Noviru, however, the lavishness of the entrance hall never failed to impress him. The gleaming, Italian marble floor reflected more gilt than Midas could have wished for. Imposing, white marble pillars dominated the panorama while a magnificently ornate painted ceiling oversaw the whole scene; the combined effect was incredible.

However, the most prominent feature of all embellished the wall which faced the entrance... giant, three-dimensional, golden letters, which he later found out were solid gold, spelled out 'International Investment Bank of Europe' and underneath, in smaller letters, their strap line read 'Serving Customers, Serving You.'

Yeah right, 'Swindling Customers, Swindling You.' would be nearer the truth.

His shoes clacked on the marble floor as he walked towards the reception desk which was tucked away at the left side of the giant foyer. Resembling an eastern-bloc security station, its thick glass perimeter and paramilitary guards made it look particularly unwelcoming. As he got closer, a pretty girl popped into view at a small opening in the glass. With more than just a little relief he ignored the uniformed men and reported to her.

"Hi. My name is Michael Phillips, and I'm (a hacker – don't say that out loud!)... I'm joining the computer support team. I was told to report to reception. I know I'm a bit early. Here's the letter I was sent."

She smiled and took the letter.

"Hi. I'm Faith. I was told you'd be starting today. Hold on while I check a few things out," she smiled again and began typing on her keyboard. Her brown eyes (yes, he did notice) darted across her screen as she scanned all the information. He wondered what they'd written about him; he'd find out later once he had access to the systems.

"Yes, here we are. Apparently you're to be fast-tracked through the induction process. Lucky you."

She smiled again. Wow, she was beautiful. Something about this woman intrigued and captivated him... he couldn't put his finger on it, much as he'd like to. She called over one of the uniformed men who, after a short discussion, directed Michael to a large door at the right of the reception desk area.

The door had a sophisticated card-key entry system. He had no card-key, so he waited for it to be opened from the inside. He heard a heavy metallic whirring sound as solid, electronically-operated bolts slid to unlock the door. A guard ushered him in and, once the door had clunked shut behind him, led him to a secure room where they photographed him, processed his forms and printed out his new identity pass and card-key. He was half expecting a full strip search but that was just his over-imaginative brain working overtime.

After about forty-five minutes, security had done their job, however he knew they'd merely helped him with his first step to steal mega-millions from this immoral organisation. Of course, Michael didn't think of it as stealing, he was just getting the public's money back... albeit he planned to keep a lot of it for himself.