Chapter 8

After heading home from our romantic walk, Paul and I were in a trance. On the cab ride home, we didn't saw a word, I rested my head on his shoulder as we held our hands together. Paul removed my glove, rubbing his thumb over my hand, then brought it to his lips and kissed it.

Once we arrived back at the building, we still weren't sure whether or not we should tell Marlon. We stood in front of the apartment door in the hallway as we discussed it.

"Why shouldn't we tell him?" Paul whispered in front of the door.

"It might make it strange for him. And then he'll feel like the odd man out." I sighed as I peered up at him.

"He's never the odd man out in anything. He always has someone around... some lover..." Paul scoffed in a whisper.

"Still." I reached for Paul's collar. Then I smoothed it down to his chest. "I think it's the right thing to keep things casual around him."

"If you say." Paul sighed. "Hey, is he even home anyhow?"

I smiled and bit my lip, looking toward the apartment door. "He may not be."

"Only one way to find out." Paul laughed as he unlocked the door. After opening the apartment, we both stepped in. "Marlon?"

"Marlon... are you home?" I called out afterwards as we stepped into the living room. Both Paul and I smiled at each other once there was no answer. At the same time we tugged and pulled at our outerwear coats and gloves.

"That means we have the whole apartment to ourselves..." Paul grinned as he leaned over to take off each of his shoes and throw them to the ground.

"After that long walk... I'm heading right in the shower." I announced in a dramatic voice, stepping backwards towards the bathroom.

"Oh, not without me, you're not!" Paul laughed as he chased me into the bathroom. Inside we kissed deeply, and he even began to pull at my clothing.

"Paul, I need to fight this one alone." I insisted as I rested my forehead on his. "I really do need to bathe."

He sighed. "Alright then. I'll be waiting for you after." Paul stepped into the doorway, but with a mischievous grin he wouldn't leave. "And hopefully he won't be home by the time you're done..."

"Out!" I laughed, giving him a light push out the door. After shutting the bathroom door, now it was just me. I got my clothes off and placed on my shower cap. I even spent a few moments looking at my body in the mirror.

And then I went towards the tub to hop in. Once I pulled the shower curtain, I couldn't believe my eyes. I let out the loudest scream.

Running out of the bathroom, I was screaming on the top of my lungs. "There's a rat in the tub!"

Paul, who now had changed into only pajama pants, quickly ran to my aid. He paused as he noticed my naked body, but blinked his crude thoughts away. "What?"

"There's a rat in the tub!" I screamed pointing towards the area.

Paul ran to the tub and looked inside. He stood with bent knees as if he was getting ready to attack. "Wait... that's not a rat..."

Suddenly Marlon walked into the hallway, he seemed confused by the chaos. "Marlon, thank goodness you're home there's a rat in the bathtub!"

Paul's crucifix dangled from his neck as he looked into the tub. "That's no rat... that's some kind of raccoon." Then, he tried to walk out of the bathroom. "I'll have to get a broom to wack it or something.

"Oh no, you're not." Marlon blocked the doorway. Paul stood there baffled by Marlon blocking the way.

"Marlon, what's the problem? Let's get the thing before it bites one of us or something." Paul tried to exit again, but Marlon still blocked the way.

"You're right... it's a raccoon." Marlon finally said, then he walked into the bathroom. Kneeling over toward the tub, he allowed the raccoon to crawl up his arm and rest on his shoulders. "But it's my raccoon."

As I stood there totally naked, I wrapped my hands across my chest, trying to comprehend what the hell was going. "It's your what?"

"His name is Russell." Marlon grinned at the creature on his shoulder. "And you needn't worry, he wouldn't hurt a fly."

"He wouldn't hurt a fly?" I squinted. "He was hissing at me just a minute ago!"

"That's how he says hello." Marlon smiled as he stroked his furry pet.

"You know what? I don't know how in the hell I found myself living here, but I'm really reconsidering..." I dramatically exclaimed.

"What?" Paul rose his eyebrows at my hurtful comment

"Russell has been in my life for a long time. He was living at home with my mother until I settled down and found a place." Marlon let us know. "And I decided to take him to live with us."

"Marlon... you didn't even—" Before I could finish my sentence, Paul was coming over to cover my body with a towel. I paused and thanked him. With pursed lips, he gave me a nod.

Marlon rose a brow with a chuckle. "Nothing I hadn't seen before."

"Anyway, Marlon. You never asked if you could have Russell live here. After all we are both renters here just as much as you!" I furrowed my eyebrows as I held the towel draped over me shut,

"I didn't think you'd mind... he doesn't get in anyone's way." Marlon said as the raccoon continued to move on his shoulders.

"Well he does get into the tub." I huffed. "You know what? Keep the raccoon. Just make sure that thing stays in your room."

"Deal." Marlon smirked as he began walking out. As he passed, he gave me a quick tap on the butt before exiting the bathroom.

Paul slipped the towel from my shoulders, it fell to the floor. "I'm sorry all of that happened. The guy can be eccentric, can't he?"

"I guess that's what makes him a star." I sighed.

Both Paul and I stepped away from each other as Marlon remerged in the doorway. "Oh, by the way I don't want to break up this love fest but I think it's time we make dinner."

"Love fest?" I quickly covered my body once again.

"Don't think I don't notice the two of you fucking behind my back." Marlon rose a brow casually.

Paul squeezed the bridge of his nose. "Marlon... if you knew the whole time why didn't you say so?"

"Why'd you think you had to hide it?" Marlon snapped. "I don't care if you're fucking each other. Just pay your part of the rent."

"Fair enough." I said calmly as I covered my breasts with my hands.

"Now, I'm going to attempt to make a meal." Marlon winked before heading for the kitchen.

Paul and I looked to each other. "You should..."

"Yup. Don't want the house the burn down." Paul nodded as he rushed to follow after Marlon.