18. Change of plans

"Hey, Jamie. Remember me?", Owens said with a friendly smile as he sat on the edge of the kitchen chair resting his arms on the table while Joyce, Will, El, and Jamie sat around on the other side.

"Where the hell would I know you from?", Jamie thought to herself as Joyce and Owens examined the confusion on her face.

"Remember the first time your dad brought you in to see me when you were having an asthma attack?", Owens asked hopping to jog her memory.

Jamie looked at her lap and then looked back up at Owens and shook her head.

Joyce and Owens both looked at Will who looked somewhat terrified. Joyce had 'worry' written all across her face as she gave Owens a look.

"Okay, no worries. I'm Dr. Owens, or Sam, or whatever you wanna call me. I'm just gonna take some of your vitals and talk to you about some things", Dr. Owens said as he pulled a stethoscope from his bag.

As Joyce stood up from the table and walked towards the sink, Jamie quickly stood and stepped back from Owens.

Joyce scrunched her face as she looked at Jamie and Owens wondering what happened in the few seconds that she had her back turned until she realized what was going on.

"It's okay, sweetie. I'm not going anywhere. I'm just getting a glass of water", Joyce said reassuringly as she pulled a two glasses from the cupboard.

Jamie watched her and sat back down. She gave Owens an embarassing smile as he pulled more items out of his bag.

"Alright, first I'm gonna check your blood pressure. Can you take off your jacket for me?", Owens asked.

Jamie nodded and slightly winced as she pulled off her jacket. Once she rolled up the sleeves to her flannel, everyone but Owens winced as they saw the bruises and scars on Jamie's arm. Owens gently took Jamie's wrist and turned it upwards and rubbed his thumb across the scars that were previously there.

"How old are these?", He asked as he examined her wrist.

"Um... about a week or so?", Jamie said as she scratched the back of her neck.

"Ah huh", Owens mumbled as his eyes followed the bruises up Jamie's arm. "The way these are shaped... it looks like someone grabbed you. What happened?"

Jamie looked at her arm and thought back to when Mark and Teresa first came to the house and then being in the room with the monster. She couldn't remember what happened in between David carrying her off somewhere and waking up in Steve's car.

"Um... I don't know?", Jamie said more of a question as she looked at her other arm.

"Do you have any more bruises or scratches? Old or new", Owens asked as he looked at Jamie then at Joyce for an answer.

"Yes" , Joyce replied.

"No", Jamie said simultaneously as her and Joyce both looked at each other.

Owens looked at the two confused and sat back in his chair.

"Do you not want to show me?", he asked as he looked at Jamie who looked terrified.

Jamie looked at Joyce who looked back at her with a confusing expression on her face.

"Nightmares", Jamie mouthed towards Joyce.

"Oh! Sweetie it's okay. You can talk to Owens about your powers. He already knows about El's and the monsters and all of the other stuff", Joyce said with a reassuring smile after she forgot that Jamie only came into her life about a week ago.