Chapter Twenty

/ DOUBLE UPDATE! MAKE SURE YOU'VE READ THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER! /

{a new journey}

"Nah, I still don't think they'd head back to their own camp." Hoseok cut in, silencing Jimin's thought. From personal experience, crossing the city was dangerous enough in fine weather on its own. Besides, the squad knew that no crossable vehicle routes remained in the city, so even going back themselves was nearly impossible. Suicide almost. 

Alpha would have to remain on this side of the city whether they liked it or not. Placing his head in the palm of his hand, Jin began to ponder. There was only one place around here that screamed 'safe house' and that place was, "The lab." Jin murmured, just loud enough for Hoseok to hear beside him.  

"The lab?" Hoseok frowned, making sure he heard properly

Removing his head from his hand, Jin gave a slow and reluctant nod, "The lab's the most logical place to go if they want to create a functioning vaccine. It has all the right facilities and equipment to do so." he explained, a cold chill running down the back of his spine. "Besides, it's completely safe from any potential hordes passing through." 

As the fire continued to crackle, Jimin soaked up all it's warmth, skin glowing golden under it's light, "Lets go then." he announced, voice low and commanding as the rest of the squad faced him with wide eyes. "We can't sit around and wait any longer, we have to get a move on."

Namjoon gulped, "Have you seen the weather?" he shivered, "A blizzard is inevitable right now!"

With narrowed eyes, Jimin ran a hand stressfully through his blonde locks, standing to his feet and beginning to march towards the front door, "I suggest we get a move on then." he smirked, gesturing towards Hoseok as their offical navigator to stand and join him. 

Brushing a loose strand of faded orange hair from his eyes, Hoseok sucked in a sharp breath of air, suppressing his fear and slowly standing to his feet. Shoving his hands deep into the pockets of his winter coat, Hoseok trudged past the squad, following Jimin out the front door. 

Before the front door could slam shut, Tessa, Namjoon and Jin reluctantly rose to their feet, dashing quickly towards the exit and following the two men outside. 

Stepping outside, Jimin's breath was pale against the numbing air, he blinked thoughtfully as the frost patiently kissed his face, captivated by the soft, dusty illusions of light that sat heavily on his eyelashes. He adored the way the snow sparkled in the light and crunched so satisfyingly underfoot. But he knew that the snow wouldn't remain beautiful for much longer, not after the blizzard kicked in. 

"Everyone grab some winter gear from the back of the car." Hoseok announced, trudging through the thick mound of snow towards the bogged car. Latching a hand around the metal door handle, Hoseok almost shrieked at how cold it was, burning his sensitive skin as he quickly opened up the car, "You'll need as much winter gear as possible." he spoke, eyes momentarily flickering skywards at the approaching storm. 

"Got it." Jimin spoke up, reaching inside the vehicle and passing out a range of different coats, gloves and beanies. 

Hoseok let out a tired sigh, "We can't take the car, it's bogged so we'll have to walk."

Jin groaned, "How long will it take to get there then!?"

Brows knitting together, Hoseok spoke up, "In this deep snow, maybe a full day or two." 

When the blizzard was to arrive, Hoseok knew it would slow them down an awful lot. There was no way they were ever going to out run the approaching storm, so instead they'd have to battle through it in hopes that they wouldn't get hypothermia. 

From behind the squad, Tessa was last to leave the house, carefully balancing an array of long unused weapons in her arms. With careful steps, she made her way down the front porch, long blonde hair swaying a little in the soft winter breeze. "Here" she chirped, handing Hoseok his trusty bow and arrows with a sad smile. Hoseok reluctantly took them into his hold before she turned around, passing out the remainders of the gear. 

Slipping his twin pair of knives into the pockets of his jeans, Jimin's teeth clenched together, "Are you sure there's no other way?" he spoke with concern, time ticking away painfully in his mind. 

Hoseok shook his head, adjusting his bow fastened around his shoulder, "No." he frowned, slipping a hand into his pocket, "The car is the only way-"

A gentle tap on the shoulder caught Hoseok off guard, causing the male to turn to the female beside him. Rubbing a hand against the back of her neck, Tessa let out an awkward chuckle, pointing back over her shoulder, "Maybe we don't have to walk after all?"

Brows knit into a frown, Hoseok peered past the girl's smaller form, eyes narrowed through his wind tousled hair as he looked out into the valley. His eyes widened as his lip pulled itself into a smirk, 

"I guess we found ourselves a ride."

-------------------------

{Author Note}

I've pre-written almost the entire book now... and let me tell you, I'm already writing the epilogue chapter ahaha. I just have to finish writing the final chapter, I'll tell you now that you've got roughly 8 chapters left ;)

(unedited)