Ch. 17 - Piles Of Guilt

Chapter Seventeen - Piles Of Guilt -

-

Raven didn't know where she was. There was fog all around, but she almost thought she was in a room... Everything seemed distorted. She could here a voice in the distance, but it echoed so much the words were jumbled; inaudible. She could tell it was male, but that was all. Suddenly, the voice boomed louder and it grew nearer at an alarming speed. She never could understand what it said, not even when the mysterious voice rushed right through her very being.

Then, it was gone. The air was tranquil and everything felt calm.

"Raven." it whispered from behind, "Have you forgotten me so soon?"

She was paralyzed. She knew the voice, but was afraid to see his face. Facing fears was one thing, but regret...

"Look at me!" he demanded.

Slowly Raven turned around, and her mouth fell open at the sight of Jackson's reanimated corpse. The stab wound was clearly visible through the torn, blood soaked shirt he wore. Jackson was close enough she could feel his rotting breath against her skin, and she had to fight the urge to gag at the repundent odor.

The entire room seemed to change it's mood, becoming hostel and angry. The fog grew darker and swarmed closer around the two, confining Raven in a menacing way.

"Do you even recognize me? Have you forgotten so soon?" he screamed at her, releasing a cloud of flies and gnats from his wide open jaws.

She screamed as the black swarm of insects attacked her, circling her face, filling her mouth and nostrils, and invading her eye sockets. The buzz of millions of tiny wings became deafening. She wailed as she fell to the ground, thrashing. She was sure they would devour her from the inside out.

"Raven!" she heard a new voice yell, "Raven! Wake up!"

She was startled by the living world, and woke to Hunter shaking her violently. He stared with analytical eyes at her own wide ones, filled with panic and fear. It was the Raven he remembered from days ago and he hated seeing her so terrified.

"It's okay. Just a dream." he soothed while touching her face. He lifted her hair and saw how it clung together, "You're sweating bad. Either you're too hot or that dream was more than just monsters chasing you."

Raven put her hands on her forehead then rubbed her eyes, trying to wipe the images from her memory.

"More than monsters," she replied, "but I do need a drink."

Hunter nodded, "Don't go anywhere, I'll be right back."

When he opened the door, Raven could hear screams drifting from downstairs. The wooden barrier muffled the sounds, but didn't completely stop the vibrations from reaching her eardrums. Hunter returned moments later, allowing the wails of pain and suffering in with him.

"Some orange juice, no pills this time." he informed her while handing over the glass.

She accepted it and took a sip, "What's going on out there?"

"After Raven's bedtime party." Hunter added, "They try to play nice around you."

He sat on the edge of the bed next to her, but stared at the door intently. Raven noticed his hands shake slightly and twitch from time to time. Not constant, and very subtle but the twitch was there none the less.

"You want to be down there, don't you? Torturing people." she asked knowingly.

"I'd rather be babysitting you. Making sure you're here for me to enjoy." he replied, turning his head towards her slowly.