Chapter 48: The Melk Stardust

The cutler sat in front of the food that was already on the table and took a bite, not acknowledging when Komatsu went, "Huh? Melk-san..." in confusion. "Aah. Delicious. That hit the spot, Chef Komatsu." Milk complimented him. The chef continued to stare at the younger woman in confusion before he asked, "Are...you not...Melk's successor?" Sarafina wanted to chide him but can understand where the little guy was going from. After all, it must have been quite the shock finding out he was being deceived, slightly, by her. Melk looked down, her lack of confidence and a bit of shame showing, the started to speak quietly, "To be honest...the whole apprentice thing...wasn't set in stone."

Now that Sarafina had a hard time believing in. If she wasn't in charge the older woman highly doubted that someone of this place would leave someone that they didn't trust in charge of this high business. "As a baby... I was abandoned far from civilization. The master took me in. It was only by chance that the master found me and took me with him. Back then, people called him Melk the Ogre and I doubt anyone would have believed he was raising an infant. I was the only person in the entire world who received Melk the Orge's love and affection."

'He became her foster father hm? I guess she and I are alike that way' Sarafina thought. "It's only natural for a child to become interested in their parent's job right? But the master strictly forbade me from entering the workshop when he was working...because of all the dangerous tools he kept there. Of course, that made me more curious. I spied on him a lot. Once I snuck in without permission...and had an accident. Thinking back on it now...I'm glad it happened. I learned to fear and appreciate the beauty of blades at a young age. I stopped crying right away because the knife that cut me was so captivating." That was when she gained the scar on her face and her love for her work had started. "After that, little by little the master let me watch him at work. His sharpening technique was powerful and compelling. In no time at all knife sharpening entranced me."

"So.. That's how you became a cutler yourself. It was a master-apprentice relationship." The chef said when Melk took a moment to catch her breath. The other woman smiled nervously before she continued, "No, no. The master was so tight-lipped. He never spoke a word of instruction. I only copied what I saw. Truth be told every year...nearly a hundred people came here looking to apprentice with him. None of them lasted more than three days."

"Why only three days?" Sarafina inquired curiously even as the chef gaped out, "Three days?!" "The master was always suspicious and quiet. He really couldn't stand being bothered by other people, at any stage of production. They all cracked under his severity." Melk folded her hands together and got a serious look.

"That's how I got to thinking...I have to become stronger! Until I'm strong enough, I'll never be as good a cutler as the master." So that was what was causing her insecurity. Wonder what her master was thinking. Not properly handling the reins over to her to be master. But then..that also explained why she reacted the way she did when Toriko mocked her before. "So..that's why...you're so sensitive about your strength." Komatsu echoed her thoughts even as Melk continued. "It's the most important thing to me. Strength will prove I'm the second Melk. I've wiped away any trace of weakness... to become a strong man." For the first time since Melk started to speak that it started to be getting to her. Did Melk honestly believe that women were weak?

"But it's..no use. In the end, I'm a woman. I can't be as strong of a cutler...as the master was. Ever." Enough was enough. "Do you think I was kidding when I said I was just as strong as Toriko? Being a woman doesn't make you weak. You're doing great if not better than your master."

"I don't get it. Sarafina-san is right. You're doing a perfect job as the second Melk!" Komatsu told her, voice full of determination. Melk looked at him for a moment then looked down with a sad look. "I never once received a word of recognition from the master. I'm the one who started calling myself the second Melk. I'm sorry, Chef Komatsu. Sarafina. Toriko was right. I'm an imposter."