- 21 -

Hand in hand

I walk into the ghostly familiar building. The smell of alcohol and cheap perfume is one I know all too well. Elijah walked in front of the bodyguards taking the stairs into the private room.

Room 24

It must be their room.

Once we get in the bodyguards scatter to who knows where. It makes sense because I don't remember them being there when I serviced their room last time.  

The men sit on the blue velvet sofa facing the door. I look towards the stripper stage. Normally, in the private rooms, we have a dancer to keep our company busy during the wait. 

"Where is the dancer?" I gesture to the empty stage.

"I always opt for an empty room," Cole states, "Come sit next to me." He pats the seat next to him cutely. Which I gladly take.

I don't want to be nervous. I really don't. I would love it if I could look Braxton in the face and be as demeaning as he is. In reality - This man scares me - not because of his words, but because of the feeling that is connected to him and that time of my life.

"Calm down, Princesa," Cole laces our fingers together.
(Princess)

"You can tell?"

"Why are you so nervous? What are you afraid he will do?"

"It's not what he will do. It's what he did. The memories haunt me as if the feelings are new," I try my best to explain the anxiety I had around the subject.

However, there's no explaining.

It doesn't make sense, not even to myself

"The only way to fix that is to face him," Cole's eyes catch mine, "Trust me, he won't get close enough to you to harm you."

The door opens. Walking in is the man in question. He has the same slimy douchebag strut he had when he was my boss. He stops mid-stride, facing my direction. It's almost as if he sensed my presence.

Unfortunat-Fucking-ely

"Well thank you, boys," He smiles crookedly, "I haven't seen this one in a while." He plops his slimy ass into a brown leather chair. 

"So, did you have some fun with her before you brought her to me?" 

Cole scowls.

"You know what I came here to talk about, Miller, let's not play dumb," His voice is deadly. I've never heard him speak like this. Not even when he'd end someone's life at the gang house. 

Braxton's face falters slightly, before returning to its usual smirk.

"Oh, you're talking about the shipment? What about it? I told you it was handled,"

"Handled my ass," Cole seethes, "Three of my men have been found dead from a 'freak accident'. I think you've forgotten just who you're dealing with, Miller,"

"This is bigger than you, Black," Braxtons tone is unsure. I can tell he's affected by Cole's words.

"You're playing a dangerous game."

They all snap their heads towards me.

"Rome wasn't built in a day, but it was burned it one," I continue, I hate this man with every fiber in my being. Nevertheless, if someones going to kill him, it's going to be me.

"The whore speaks," Braxtons snarls a laugh.

I shake my head.

"You have to understand what you're doing,"

"You don't know shi-"

"I know that you were talking to Mr. Egorov," Lie, I didn't know that. "If you were wondering why he hasn't been responding it's because he has already been handled,"

By the look on his face, I could tell that I hit the nail on the head.

"You're bullshitting," He spits. I stand from my seat. From the corner of my eye, I see both: Elijah and Cole looking at me.

"Believe me," I smile. The same smile that I've been dying to show him.

A smile of control

"Before the knife went through his heart, he sang like a Canary," Another Lie.

I don't even know if he's dead

"You bitch-"

"Yeah, yeah," I roll my eyes, "Paint me as the villain," 

Gaining confidence, I take a step towards him. 

"You know damn well that it was your poor choices that got us here," I was directly in front of him a few paces away, "You're fucked, now what?"

Elijah stands up, walking behind Braxton's chair to make sure he didn't get up. Cole stands a distance behind me. 

"I wonder which will get you killed faster," I warm my hands, "Your loyalty or your stubbornness?"

I can see his pale skin slowly turn red. Whether it's from embarrassment or anger - I do not know.

"You were better when you were a scared little bitc-"

My hand connects with the side of his face, cutting him off from completing his sentence.

"I may be heartless but you are naive," I spit, "Naive to think that your life is worth saving."

I turn around, getting a gun from Cole, even though I have found that I prefer knives.

"You had this whole empire," I gesture around the room, "You were untouchable,"

I finally look at him, "And you gave it all away. I have to ask, Why?" 

His snarl is prominent, "We all have our reasons,"

The look, the solemn tone- He's was in love

"I'll be damned," I snort, "I'd never think a man like you could catch a liking to someone,"

"Was it the blonde? That Mr.Egorov hired?" 

"Victoria? No,"

"Then who?"

Silence

"She didn't love you back did she?" The look he gives me answers my question. I wasn't necessarily taunting him, but best believe I had no sympathy for the cruel man. It took me a moment to reflect, I actually have no feelings about anything in the moment. 

I feel indifferent in every way

"So why are you taking up for her? She's put you through hell and ultimately costs you your life," 

Who is he sticking up for?

"Because you would kill her," 

"I'm going to kill you. What does life or death have to do with it?" 

Silence

"I'm going to find out, I would just prefer if you'd make it easy for me," 

"You're a monster," I smile at this.

"Are monsters born or created?" I quirk a brow, "I see it as; I am not violent, I am not malicious, I am a result," I taunt him, "I am a result of an interaction with people like you. Who cares only about hurting others. The scars that litter my heart are permanent, but the world will receive hell for it." 

My feet planted straight in front of him. Elijah no longer had to hold him back. He's come to terms with his fate. 

"We all have our demons, Mr. Miller," I fix the gun to sit right on his forehead, my eyes locked with his. "I just choose to feed mine,"

"See you in hell, bitch," Despite the situation, his voice was rather calm.

"Save me a seat."