"you...and...Pam?"

Max

I leaned toward the camera, "okay, so maybe I'm crazy

I leaned toward the camera, "okay, so maybe I'm crazy...scratch that, I am crazy but that's not the point; the point is, is that I have been noticing glances man, glances! But, not just any glance, glances between Jim and Pam; maybe it's nothing, but maybe not."

_

I'd been sitting at my desk, waiting for calls for the last hour or so but the only thing I'm getting is morning sickness—which by the way is a dumbass name for something that occurs the entire fucking day! But I've also been observing the office and something is up and I'm going to get to the bottom of is as soon as I figure how to tell the jolly giant in front of me that I'm, carrying his little parasite inside of me, should be easy.

"What's going on in there?" Jim asked, bringing me back to reality.

"Hm?" I asked him, trying to grasp what I'd missed in the last ten minutes.

He smiled at me, biting his lip a little, making my heart do somersault—the same ones that got me here, "you've just been talking to yourself a lot today," he told me with a light chuckle, "it's kinda cute and want to know what would be cuter?" he asked cryptically.

I leaned into him, raising my eyebrows almost challenging him, "what?"

He mirrored me, "you telling me what you're thinking about right now."

I bite my lip, leaning back in my seat, I knew what I wanted to say but I couldn't figure out how without coming off as clingy or weird, I mean it's not like we are together or anything, "what's going on," pause, "between you and Pam." His eyebrows raised before laughing, "what?" I asked confused.

"I just think it's cute, is all." He told me, I guess my face showed my confusion because he continued, "you are jealous."

I scoffed, "jealous? Not even in my vocabulary, I'm just curious." I told him, telling him the half-truth, "I've noticed the looks and I just wanted to know." I said, unsure of how I was feeling.

His eyebrow was still high as he smiled at me, "you don't have a thing to worry about, I promise." He told me before leaning back in his chair, putting his arms behind his head, "what Pam and I had, has been over and down with."

My eyes widened as I gasped and started to choke on my own air after the past slapped me in the face, "you...and...Pam?" I asked as I tried to regain my composure but the high-key disgust from the images that entered my brain were making that difficult. "Pam Beesly and you?"

He looked at me worried, "di-did you not know?"

"How could I?" I asked, trying to keep my voice and my cool down, for some reason, I almost felt betrayed by his actions, even if it was before me...it was before me, right? "I've been here for like a day."

He shrugged with a grimace, "it wasn't really a secret or anything," he said but the way it came out of his house, it seemed like he was carefully choosing his words, "plus, it's not like we are together or anything."

I was taken back for a second before masking my emotions and giving a tight-lipped smile, "you are 100 percent correct." I told him before going back to my work, my mind now suddenly overthinking every single moment that we shared with one another, every smile, every kiss, every hug; they all told me that same thing but maybe our signals were crossed...maybe this is a sign.

"Max," he said after a few seconds, his hand on mine before I snatched it away. He looked at his lone hand for a second before looking up at me, "I'm sorry, I, I didn't mean it."

"It's fine Jim," I told him, avoiding his face, "I've got work to do," I told him before looking back at my computer, the uneasiness that I was feeling covering the entirety of my being and it stayed like that for the rest of my shift. I could feel his eyes on me every now and then but I couldn't help but ignore it but my thoughts were clouded by the parasite that is now growing inside of me.

I want the family that I didn't have the last time, the emptiness inside of me—that void, to be filled and slowly it's happening but I also wanted him but what do you do when they don't want you back? No one prepares you for that.

"What kind of cake do you want? Earth to Max," Jim's voice said bringing me out of my cocoon of thought.

"What?" I asked him confused, "cake?"

He nodded with a smile like nothing is wrong and maybe nothing is and it's all in my head, "cake for the joint birthday party, I was thinking about throwing it around 3:30, 4:oo o'clock which is in like..." he looks at the clock before looking back at me, "45 minutes."

I nodded thoughtlessly before speaking, "I think I'm actually going to cut out early today, I have a... thing." He stared at me for a second before looking around the office and biting his lip.

"Come with me," he said to me and taking my hand before I could answer.

"Whoa," I said as I followed him out of the office and into the warehouse, there's this little room almost like an abandoned office that we would come to hang and that's where he took me. "What are we doing him, Jim?"

He stared at me for a second before cupping my face in his large, soft hands, his fingers gingerly stroking my cheeks, "you are so breathtakingly beautiful."

"Thanks?" I said confused, "if that's all you—"

"That's not all, far from it." He said before kissing but this one felt different from the other ones, they were lustful but this one was full of... love. He pulled away and pressed his forehead against mine, "you are the only one for me, Maxine Johnson."

_

WHAM BHAM THANK YOU, MAM!!!!

VOTE

COMMENT

FOLLOW