1.3.66: "He Does Not Love You"

She was surprised to see Zhou Lang awkwardly standing at the door, surprised to see her as well.

"Zhou...Lang?"

"Yunhua?"

Both said simultaneously, looking away. Madam Xu whispered that since Xiao Yunhua knew who this person was, they could go and talk.

"Will you be okay?"

"Of course silly. I had always run my businesses alone for the most part, I just made an exception for you... it seems like my gut feeling telling me to hire you was right; seeing what we discovered earlier. You can go and have fun." Her urges reminded Xiao Yunhua of her grandmother nagging her to go and have fun with her friends instead of always studying. Her heart filled with warmth and she nodded.

Xiao Yunhua walked outside of the boutique and was met by a wave of cool air. She shivered and maintained a distance between her and Zhou Lang as she asked him what he was doing there.

"Yunhua... I heard you and my brother broke up?" This was the first proper time they were speaking again and he used such a cold tone with her. She deserved it after what she had done, but it still hurt seeing as he was a dear friend of hers.

Xiao Yunhua nodded and looked away as she spoke. "Three months ago actually. I'm surprised you only caught on the news today."

"Yunhua, my eldest brother is getting engaged."

It was like her heart stopped beating when he said those words. She couldn't breathe and felt herself growing pale. Zhou Lang noticed her severe reaction and a sharp pang stabbed his heart but he remained cool and continued, "None of us wanted to disturb you or your job, but seeing as eldest brother didn't expose who he was engaged to, the only explanation we could think of was you. However, based on your reaction, it doesn't seem to be you."

Xiao Yunhua coughed violently and a look of concern filled his eyes, making her panic and push away his hands reaching to comfort her. She didn't want him to see her so weak and vulnerable. She didn't want any of them to see her so weak and vulnerable.

"You're sick?"

"Just a minor cold. Don't worry about me. You've delivered your news and gotten your results, I hope I won't be bothered again." She coldly said, turning around to leave.

"Yunhua—"

She stopped. "Don't refer to me so intimately, Zhou Young Master. I wish to continue having no ties with your family and maintain my peace."

"Xiao Yunhua, are you really bothered this much by the news of his engagement!?" Zhou Lang gripped the small ring in his pocket. He couldn't find it in himself to throw it away, hence why the ring was always with him like a good luck charm. He thought now that his brother no longer wanted her, she could give him another chance.

"Zhou Lang, I—"

"You were so prideful and so alluring when I first met you in Riverside. How could you be so...withered?"

She wanted to get angry with him, but his words held truth. She didn't have any energy left to deal with anyone anymore.

"Yunhua, forget about him. If you want, you can leave the Zhou family and go abroad. You can forget all the painful memories here and..." the ring in his pocket burned, "and I could come with you."

His motive was made clear to Xiao Yunhua. She sighed as a bitter smile graced her face. "Zhou Lang, any chance of that... any chance of us, it's too late. Please, forget about me and like I've said before, don't even waste your hatred on me. You should know my background by now—I had only wanted to get close to you purely for my motives of revenge for Han Mi. I harbor no feelings for anyone—"

"Anyone but Zhou Ming?" He softly interrupted. "Don't try to deny it, even with Zhou Feng, I had never seen you look at anyone the way you look at eldest brother. But why keep hurting yourself? He does not love you."

His words were like pouring salt on her wounds. Xiao Yunhua felt the familiar dull ache in her chest and her vision blurred until she finally passed out.