1.3.69: Engagement Party (II)

Apparently her clothes had been a little too simple because when she got to the venue, many celebrities and elites were dressed in formal clothes. There were security everywhere and the cameras couldn't click past the doors. So many people had gathered to ease the curiosity of who was going to marry into the biggest and most influential family in the country, becoming the future matron of the Zhou family.

Xiao Yunhua was lost within the crowd of people until she was pushed back and fell on the ground, wincing in pain. Maybe this was a sign that she wasn't supposed to see anything and give up. Her eyes clouded in desolation and she stood up to leave, only to bump into someone.

She looked up and froze when she saw who it was. "Qiang Yue?"

"Yunhua..." Qiang Yue muttered in a daze when she found out who he bumped into. Was there such a coincidence in the world? "What are you doing here?"

"I..." she hesitantly averted her eyes, "I just wanted to see who he was going to get engaged to. But I guess I can't because I don't even have an invitation to get in."

Qiang Yue's warm eyes were full of pain when he saw her so helpless. He didn't imagine their meeting after so long would be like this. Nonetheless her so weak and looking heartbroken. Her hopeless nature outweighed his heart ache and he decided to help her get inside. By the look in her face, he had never seen her so lost over someone, not even him. He gripped his invitation and kindly smiled at her. She was confused as to why he grabbed her arm and pulled her close to him, walking forward towards the door.

"Qiang Yue what are you doing!?" She whispered, trembling as they edged closer to the security guarding everywhere inside and outside the venue.

"Getting you inside."

"Huh but I..." her sentence faltered when Qiang Yue showed his invitation and they were let in, her being his guest. She suddenly remembered that Qiang Yue's father was a butler and they had a connection to the Zhou family, despite Qiang Luo helping Ling Xiu try to murder Han Mi. Zhou Ming had probably invited Qiang Yue because the good doctor had no connections to his father's actions.

When they were inside, she breathed a sigh of relief and looked at him gratefully. "Thank you. I don't know how I can repay you—"

"Be happy." His selfless nature nature stunned her and he walked away, leaving her. She smiled bittersweetly.

Thank you. Even if the system had implanted him as a target, he was still a good friend and she appreciated everything he had done for her, including this.

She wandered around and saw other guests walking towards the center of the venue, where the party was going to be held. She didn't go inside and saw the entire Zhou family, including the Zhou brothers and Zhou Elder, along with everyone else. The room was extravagantly decorated with expensive things yet kept to a minimum for a simplistic look. She noticed Zhou Ming and her heart skipped a beat because he looked exceptionally handsome at the moment. He was usually good looking but he looked over the top and her heart skipped a beat. Xiao Yunhua's eyes glanced around and didn't see any girl until she noticed a very stunning woman walking towards Zhou Ming, teasing and laughing with him intimately.

She looked classy and even the cold Zhou Elder was looking at the girl fondly, along with Zhou Ming who let her do what she wanted. Not just Xiao Yunhua, but it appeared that even the other guests had their eyes on the woman and couldn't help gush over her. She wasn't as beautiful as Xiao Yunhua, but held an aura of nobility and class with her sharp, amber eyes and full lips. She looked to be mixed too but still had features that distinguished her as someone of this country.

Xiao Yunhua sighed. This was a woman worthy of being together with the Zhou heir. Her work here was done and it was time to leave. Suddenly, Zhou Ming's ebony eyes darted everywhere and fell on the door, barely missing Xiao Yunhua who hid behind the door.

That was a close call!

As she turned to leave, someone was already in front of her...