Chapter 20

The hug lasted awhile longer before Jay and 035 let go. Once they did everyone got back to planning their escape.

"So we're gonna go in your bag and you're gonna get us to, wherever the hell?" 682 was at least trying his best to not be rude.

"Right, we will need some money though. After that we'll just need to find away to get to Europe."

"I used to get a lot of jewelry so maybe..." 035 trailed off an he dug through 049's bag. "Yep!" He emerged with a small handful of rings and necklaces.

"I suppose that will work, I'm not sure how I didn't know you had a stash in my bag though."

035 just shrugged. "So should we start heading out now or are we waiting for the sun to rise?" 

"I got one more trip left in me so I vote we go now." 106 commented. "It's up to the rest of you though."

After putting it to a vote they decided to start their journey. For the last time that night they entered 106's pocket dimension. When they came out of it they were near the edge of the woods, light from the sunrise peaking in through the trees. The sound of cars on a nearby road filling the air.

049 took a deep breath and shut his eyes. Without thinking 035 grabbed his hand, 049 flinched a bit at the sudden touch but he relaxed and intertwined is fingers with the mask's.

"Alright," 049 said, letting out his breath. "Into the bag now."

One by one the others stepped into his bag and seemingly disappeared into its depths. Jay and 035 were the last ones to enter.

Doing his best to remain relaxed 049 took another deep breath and picked up his bag. The sounds of traffic slowly became louder until he was standing at the side of the road. He walked alongside the cars until he reached a city.

The sun was already high in the sky and people wandered the streets.

049 could feel people staring at him as he tried to navigate through the city.

He held his hands tightly to stop himself from touching anyone. He could feel himself twitch, the urge to reach out for a scalpel or syringe almost overwhelming. The city was crawling with the pestilence. It felt unclean. He felt exposed without his mask. When the opportunity arose he ducked into an alleyway.

He had his back pressed up against a brick wall. He could sense the disease in almost every inch of the city. It lingered on the crowds of people like vultures to a body. He reached into his pocket with shaking hands and pulled out a small vial. He unscrewed the lid, fearing that he'd break the bottle. The liquid inside smelled of lavender. He stayed for a while letting the sent of lavender calm him.

When he finally stepped out of the alley the crowds seemed to have lessened, he was grateful for that. He continued through the streets, his pace a bit quicker than before.

By the time he had found a place to exchange the jewelry the sun had begun to set. While the place seemed a bit shady 049 figured  it would be one few places that wouldn't question him.

A flickering neon sign on the front door read 'open'.

049 pushed open the door, almost instantly regretting his decision. Disease seemed to seep from the man behind the counter. 049 would've turned back and looked for another shop but the man had already seen him.

"Hey there, what 'cha need?" The man smoked.

049 hid his disgust and steeled his nerves. "I need to exchange some jewelry for money. Is this the right shop?"

"Got that right, show me what 'cha got." The man waved 049 over.

049 took a hesitant step forward, keeping as much space between him and the man as he could. With a slow and practiced looking movement he placed the jewelry on the counter. The man looked surprised for a moment before returning to his previous expression.

"You got some pretty nice stuff here, I shouldn't be surprised, ya seem like a formal guy."

049 said nothing.

After the exchange 049 left the building as quickly as he could without being suspicious. The air outside was fresh and he took a deep breath, thankful to be out of the plague ridden shop. He wondered for awhile more, looking for a place to stay the night.

On the outskirts of the city was a small building that looked to be abandoned. The windows were boarded up or shattered, the walls were cracking and plants grew around it. It would work for now.On the inside the paint was peeling and it smelt of dust.

049 placed down his bag and took a seat next to it. He opened it and called out into it. "Alright you can come out for now."

A small commotion could be heard from inside the bag before the others stepped out of it one by one.

"How has everything gone?" 079 questioned.

"I have the money so now we just need to get to Europe."

"How much ya got?"

"$1000, which should be enough for a one way trip. For now I think we should all rest for the night."

They agreed to rest and spread out in the room. 682, 079 and 053 curled up in a corner, 682 wrapping his tail around the other two. 106, 173 and 096 were spread around the room. Jay was lying down next to 049 and 035 was resting his head on 049's shoulder.

"You alright dear? You seem a bit shaken," 035's voice was a whisper just loud enough for 049 to hear.

"I'm fine, this city is just filled with so much of the pestilence. Times like this makes me wonder if I could ever help."

"Hey," 035 placed a hand on 049's cheek, turning his head so he would look at him. "You are doing a wonderful job but you can't help everyone, at least not now alright?"

"I suppose that may be true but it's disheartening nonetheless."

"I want you to promise me something, alright? Promise me you won't overwork yourself."

049 nodded slightly. "I'll try."

035 snuggled up closer to him and pressed a kiss to 049's cheek.

049 could feel heat rush to his cheeks, painting them a pale red.

They curled up together, holding onto each other like a lifeline, it felt right.