PART 3, SECTION 8

It was hard to make out what the man who'd been knocking said in response, but there was something about "emergency conscription orders."

I heard Ian say, "No one's leaving this house."

"Sir, you have one option and one option only. One way or another you're coming with us. Time is extremely sensitive. You'll be debriefed at the center. Here are your orders."

Shawn must have arrived at the door while the man in charge was handing over whatever conscription documentation he had.

"Shawn Young?" he asked.

"I'm Shawn Young. What's—"

"These are your conscription orders, son."

After a pause, Ian said, "We're not even wearing shoes. What is this?"

"You have exactly thirty seconds to get what you need. Otherwise, appropriate footwear will be provided at the center. I will not repeat again that time is extremely sensitive."

At this, the three armed men who'd been standing back actually raised their guns. Practically in unison, they took a few steps forward.

"You've got to me kidding me," Ian said.

"I assure you I am not." 

There was some shuffling in the entryway while Ian and Shawn must have been putting on their shoes and jackets. The uniformed men who had drawn their weapons didn't move. They kept their guns trained directly at the front door.

"Our wives are inside," Ian said. "My kids. We need to tell them we're leaving. At least."

The armed men stepped forward, marching up the front steps and onto the porch. They moved out of my line of sight. All I could see now was the idling SUV with its faint trail of exhaust visible in the coolness of the morning air.

"Sir, even the very fact of your leaving these premises has to be kept under the utmost secrecy. Do I make myself clear?"

Suddenly I saw Ian stumbling down the porch. Two of the armed guards were holding his shoulders. Right behind them came Shawn. He was being escorted toward the SUV in the same way, a guard at each arm. It looked like they were being arrested. Ian was in the faded blue jeans he'd been sleeping in, and Shawn was still in his sweats. His tennis shoes were untied.

The guards threw Ian and Shawn into the large SUV and climbed in behind them without lowering their guns. . . 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please VOTE 🌟 before continuing! Thanks! ;)  xxBailey