Chapter 1: A Fateful Night

(Authors Note: I just need to clarify something. Illya is not going to be the same age she was in the original.)

I always saw myself dying instead of my brother. Shirou was my hero. He always talked about becoming "a hero of justice."He always spoke about how he would change the world and stop people from shedding tears. Creating a world where peace can be found anywhere. After he died trying to protect me 10 years ago, I decided that I would take up his ideals and honor his memory but I always wondered what it would be like if Shirou lived instead. When I was found, I was taken in by a man who I grew up to call my father, Kiritsugu Emiya. I was too young to even remember my real last name. Ryu is the only name I remember me being called. When he adopted me, he told me that he was a mage. When he told me that I said that I wanted to learn magic like does. He was against it in the beginning but in the end, he gave in and began to teach me projection magic and strengthening magic. A few years later I mastered the skill and was able to copy whatever weapon I see without any mistakes. Over time I began to learn protection magic. I found that it was compatible with my strengthening magic increasing its effectiveness. It was a couple of years after that my father died from organ failure. I was only 11 at that time. I never cried at his funeral because I knew that he wouldn't want that. He would have said something along the lines of, "Save your tears for the ones you want to protect Ryu. I lived my life how I wanted to have lived a very long time ago. Even if it was for a short time, the moments I spent with you were very special to me. I got to watch you grow up to be a brilliant young boy as if you were my own son. Even though I'm dead now doesn't mean I've left you. I will always watch over you." A short while after his funeral was over. I was given his will and an address to go to. His will wasn't much of will. It was more like a letter to me and a person named Illyasviel von Einzbern. It said that I was to go to her address to finish the rest of my school days and magic training. She was reluctant at first but she welcomed me with open arms. The smile on her face made me feel happy that she was my family. I wanted to protect that smile more than anything in this world. She is the only family I have left in this world and I will do anything to make sure that it never changes. 

For the last 5 years, I resumed my training in the arcane arts developing certain skills that would help me in the long run. I wasn't that great with elemental magic per se but I was proficient in wind and fire magic. I guess the reason was because I could relate to the natures of them more than the other elements. Wind was free and unrestricted and fire was strong and at its core was full of life even if it burns whatever it touches. Illya always told me that I exhibited these traits and I believed her. I know that I could be nothing like my brother but the least I can do is live up to his ideals and keep his memory alive within me. It makes feel like he is always with me. As of now, I am going to High School and living a normal everyday life like my father wanted me to. However, it's as normal as normal gets for a mage. Between working on school work and practicing my mage craft it can be pretty tedious but it would all be worth it in the end. Speaking of school it was time for me to wake up.

Once I got up to do my morning routine I opened my door to see Illya standing in front of my door preparing to knock. I seemed to have surprised her judging by how she jumped back with a gasp. She told me that breakfast was ready and my lunch was already packed. Once I got ready I waited for her to get dressed too. Illya may not look it but she is the same age as me. We also go to the same school, Kuoh Academy and as luck would have it we were in the same classes. She and I always did our school work together and are at the top of our class when it comes to academics. However, when it comes to athletics I was better. In fact, I am the captain of the archery club. I've been hooked on archery since I was a kid. Even before Shirou died. Hell, he was the one who taught me how to shoot a bow in the first place. I guess this is my way of remembering him. Once we arrived we went to our class, going about our day as normal. A few hours later lunch came around and we went to the roof to eat where we normally sit at. I always enjoyed spending time with Illya. Every moment was precious to me because, after Kiritsugu died I felt like I should spend every minute of every day with her as if they were my last. While we were enjoying our lunch Illya wanted to speak up but she sounded pretty nervous while she was.