Chapter 12

Satisfaction Brought It Back

Marinette had gotten Tikki some cookies before she went up. She clutched the pillow in her arms. She already had a blanket up there. Marinette lifted up her skylight expecting to see the normal. But she gasped. It was full of shock and disbelief. She dug her nails into the pillow before dropping it, her eyes widening and her jaw going slack.

"Missed me, princess?"

They stood there. The black cat-themed hero standing before her. Leaning onto the railing of her balcony with an awkward smile on his face. She was frozen, was this a dream? Hallucination? Had she finally...

No. She was going to enjoy this. Enjoy this while she still can. Her movements were fast. She ran, it was full of energy, ignoring anything from the past. She practically pounced on him, her pale freckled arms wrapping around his waist catching him by surprise. And she squeezed hard.

And then she cried.

She was laughing while she did. She dreamed. Dreamed of so many scenarios of when he'd come back to her. Of him being alive and healthy, them hugging. Just seeing him alive. She didn't care if this was a dream. Because it felt so real. She could feel his arms slowly going to embrace her, a little stiff and awkward. But she didn't care. She didn't care for anything anymore. She just wanted to stay like this. Marinette looked up into his softened gaze. Tears pouring down her face as she smiled. Her smile was full of joy and happiness. She removed her arms from his waist and brought her hands to cup his cheeks, he was crying too.

"You're alive. You're okay!" She said, her voice broken from the tears. He nodded, leaning his head into her touch. His leather gloved hand moving to touch hers. "Why wouldn't I be Marinette?" He smiled wider. His voice was gentle as he stared into her beautiful bluebell eyes. You could just get lost in those.

Chat Noir wiped her tears away. She looked so happy, so relieved. Like this is the first time she's experienced joy in a long time. "Are you okay?" He spoke. Marinette nodded, moving one of her hands to keep his on her face. Her eyes closed as she took in the touch. The touch was so nice, so comforting. She needed this, she needed it so much. "I've felt so terrible, so bad, responsible. You.... you. Died. In my arms." Marinette's eyes opened and she looked at Chat. Taking in all his features. She couldn't believe this.

The leather ears pinned back on his head. "Princess...." He began. Marinette hugged him again, squeezing.

"Ow."

Marinette paused. Looking up at him. "What happened?" She asked. Swallowing as she stepped away.

Chat sighed, looking at his side. "I had a big gash in my side when I ...woke up? Along with a few scratches. It's been patched up since but I was able to suck it up because I wanted to see you." Marinette crossed her arms as she looked at the ground. "You should've healed first." Marinette didn't remember any gashes. But yet again, she was panicked and..she hated the memories.

Chat looked at her sadly. "I couldn't wait any longer. But I was pretty weak in the beginning and even Plagg told me I should rest first." He saw Marinette squeeze her arms. He was making her feel bad, he frowned. "What happened to you?" Marinette froze, and his eyes narrowed. She dug her nails into her arms, her mouth twitching.

"Mari."

When they took their seats, everything spilled out, quickly too. It was like a giant wave rolling across the ocean, and its shadow being cast among you before it finally hits. Or a sudden gust of wind knocking you off your feet. But her words were such on ease in his presence. She wiped away her own tears as she spoke, she didn't look at him when she told what had happened to her. How shattered she'd been.