Chapter Nineteen

Ryan POV

My paws hit the floor as my wolf whimpers from behind the door. Blood was the only thing we can sniff out from under the door and it was sending us crazy. We couldn't smell Summer, Lydia, Ian, or the twins. We didn't know if the twins were even born.

"How many dead?" I heard my dad whisper.

"20... how long has he been like that?" Xavier asks.

"Since the rogues ran away."

"That was twelve hours ago!"

"Yeah, but two hours before that Summer went into labor."

"Sheesh, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes," Xavier says.

I would love to say something snarky, but I was too worried about my family. I laid down by the door ready to cry. According to Lydia, Summer does not want me to enter the room. I'm missing the birth of my kids.

"Ryan, come on, you need to eat," my dad says.

I didn't move from out of my spot. I'm not leaving them. I can't leave them. What if Lydia opens the door because Summer changes her mind? What if I need to rush them to the hospital?

"Damn Ryan at least shift from your wolf."

I shift out of my wolf and placed my forehead against the door. I just want to be in there with her.

"Here's some pants," Xavier says as he pushes the fabric into my hand.

I sigh as I yank them on and turn to my dad and brother. They were concerned, they were showing sympathy. They wanted to show they care, but that's not what I need right now. I need to be in there with my wife and kids.

"They're going to be alright," dad tells me.

"How can you be so sure, I'm not in there," I huff, pulling at my hair frustration as I began to pace.

"Why aren't you in there?"

"Xavier!"

"It's a valid question!"

I roll my eyes at their banter.

"Lydia told me that Summer didn't want me to come in the room... that she was scared of me," I answer Xavier.

He places his hand on my shoulder as a sign of support before just simply pulling me into a hug. I hug my brother as sobs escaped my throat.

"I almost lost them today X," I tell him.

"How?" He asks while pulling away.

"Summer... she came up from the basement and stepped back outside... a rogue was mere inches away from her and nobody noticed, but me."

"Is that when you got your wolf?" Dad asks.

"Yes, I killed him in seconds before bringing her inside... if I hadn't changed into my wolf she'd be dead."

My dad pulled me into him, trying to console me. I almost laughed at the situation. For so long, I wanted my wolf and now that I got him he has caused one of the most important people in my life to be afraid of me.

"Let's just go downstairs, get a bite to eat... and wait," dad suggests.

Before I could accept the offer Ducky rushes in with a panicked expression on his face. Confusion expressed on ours. He was supposed to be at the hospital taking care of wounded.

"Where's Summer?" He asks.

"In my room, what's wrong Duck?" I ask.

"Lydia called and said there was an emergency and—"