Trial And Error

War.

A word that had violence, travesty, death and destruction behind it. It can end in the most victorious way or it can end with a bang.

But what's the start of a war? How can people use it to their advantage?

I'll tell you, it starts with a betrayal.

...And in many stories, it ends with a bang.

--

"Kit!"

My name is brought in the air with a venomous bite in their tone. I slowly open my eyes. I had been falling asleep thanks to my overnight shift back at Venny's. My head rested against a soft velvet pillow, my hair drenched due to sweat. My eyes open fully to catch a glimpse of my girlfriend, Gia who simply laid across from me. The white sheets were draped across our lower abdomen.

"Sorry, I was drifting off to sleep." I quickly apologized, Gia props herself on one elbow, gazing down at me with her ocean blue eyes, her pale brown hair cascading down her shoulders, covering her breasts. The sunset shown on her glistening fair skin, her face and nose pinched by the coldness of the room. Her room was rather small, wasn't really furnished.

"You obviously weren't paying attention..." Gia frowned, clearly disappointed.

"Gia, after what we just did and the fact that I've been working overtime this week, I have a right to be a little exhausted." I said, my hands snaking their way to my forehead, small pants escaped my lips as I spoke. A small smile grows on my face as Gia narrowed her eyes at me.

"Sex never wears you out." Gia calmly said, using two of her fingers to run along my chest down to my abs, down to towards the v-line. Withing a split second Gia throws her leg over me, causing her to roll over on top of my chest, she sits all the way up, her manicured hands finding their way to my cheek.

Gia took a moment to gaze at me up and down. "Michael, tell me what's wrong."

My hands snake their way up to her waist, I raise my eyebrows at her. "I just told you that I've been working." I explained, my eyes landing on the robin that had been tattooed on her left hip.

Gia giggles. "You simply can't just be working."

I shrugged. "Well, aside from working I had been doing some heavy lifting at my place, that enough for you?" I asked.

"Fine. I'll drop it." Gia sighed again, her hands reaching back towards my chest. "Well Kit, you've outdone yourself this time."  She praised, her honeyed voice become more smoother and smoother by the second.

Let's mess with her a bit. "In what way than you mean?" I ask, cocking up an eyebrow. Gia rolls her eyes at my response. "Cheeky bastard." She mumbles as she crawls off me and off the bed, my eyes stare at her bare back as she lowered herself to pick up her clothes. I sit up, with one hand running through my damp hair, my eyes never left Gia's back.

"You know I love you right?" I remind her, she glances over her shoulder at me.

"I know." She said while sliding back on her pink robe. "I love you too."

I got out of bed and begun to change back into the clothes I had torn off hours ago.

"Hey baby?" Gia had returned back in the room, my eyes gaze at her robe that hung loosely from her slender body. "We need to talk."

Before I could respond, the ringtone on my phone began to ring itself out on Gia's night stand. I exchanged looks with Gia before reaching over to pick it up.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Kit, we need to talk. Meet me at the clearing tonight." Jace said urgently. "Come alone."

You see, Jace and I have history together, whenever we had these small conversations-they needed to be as discreet as possible, away from the public eye.

We had secrets, that not even Gia knows, buried at the back of our heads because of the lifestyle we used to have. Ever since then, we had to watch our asses.

"Let me guess...you have to go." Gia assumes, wrapping her arms around my waist and resting her cheek against my backside. "You always do."

I turn around, grabbing Gia by her shoulders. "I'll make it up to you." I reassure her. Her frown slowly contorts into a smirk.

"You better." She mumbles before standing on her tippy toes to kiss my cheek, her hand rested on my chest. "Be safe out there Kit."

No promises. Instead of uttering those two gravely words, I kiss the top of her head. "I'll try."

--

I had stopped at the start of the clearing where Jace had told me to unite with him. I remained still in my mustang, the only source of light coming from the end of my cigarette, but even that was limited. Despite that, it was pitch black.

Doubts started to fill my mind as I groped my jacket for my phone. I quickly unpocketed it and dialed my friend's numbers.

"Jace. Where the hell are you?" I demanded sourly. Jace didn't answer. I could hear the sounds of bushes rustling against one another. Suddenly a pale white light begun waving in the air rapidly, I start my car up, turning on my headlights to see a lean figure approaching into the light.

I sighed in relief as I notice my baby blue haired friend started jogging towards the car, his eyes widening quickly behind his red framed glasses.

"Kit!" Jace seethed through gritted teeth. "You need to see this!"

I sigh as I stopped my engine from running, stepping out of the car and strolling my way towards Jace.

"Spill." I said nonchalantly. Jace quickly grabs both of my shoulders. His eyes wide, his pale lips formed in a tight line, strands of blue hair flowing in his face. Jace had a knack for being theatrical but this time he looked like he came out of a insane asylum.

Jace paused, the corner of his eyes glistening through his bangs. "Vinny survived." He answered vaguely, in which I knew what he was talking about.

With those words out in the air, there was another rustle in the bushes.