nineteen

《CHAPTER NINETEEN》

IT WAS CARTER'S FIRST day of school

IT WAS CARTER'S FIRST day of school. Well, at least her first proper day of school, excluding the days in the lab when she would get hit for a wrong answer, or when a test included standing in that padded room and attempting to make something to do with powers happen.

Pepper was fussing over her, taking several pictures of her outside the facility. Tony stood beside Pepper, arms folded and smirking mockingly at Carter.

Carter smiled awkwardly due to never having a picture taken of her before, the heavy bag full of books on her back not helping her already unsure posture.

Pepper put down the camera. "Okay, you should probably get going. We don't want you to be late."

Carter walked up to the woman and gave her a hug. Pepper didn't have time to return the embrace, however, as Carter quickly rushed off towards the car waiting for her, a large smile adorning her face, expressing the excitement she had for going to school. Happy was going to drive her, but Tony insisted on going with her as it was her first day.

She got into the car and shouted "hurry up!" to Tony, who was walking painstakingly slowly towards the car.

He got there after what felt like an eternity. The nerves mixed with the excitement were quickening some moments and dragging others by for Carter.

They set off, making their way towards her new school.

"Alright, remember what we've discussed," began Tony. "No talking about your superpowers or the Avengers or anything superhero- related. And no talking to boys."

"Why can't I talk to boys? You're a boy."

"I'm actually a man. You can't trust boys, especially ones your age. Just don't talk to any and you'll be fine."

~\☆/~

Happy brought her inside, much to Tony's dismay. Even though he knew he couldn't bring Carter in, he was still disappointed.

As Happy brought her to the principal's office, students around them carried books and stood in groups as they whispered to one another. It was odd seeing so many people around her age all in the one place-- and even just seeing them in general.

Due to joining in the middle of the school year, everyone else was already in a routine, bar Carter, so the students were already talking to one another as they blindly pulled books out of their locker. Some of the older students hastily scribbled in a notebook, trying to get some last-minute homework done.