Surprise (V.H)

VIOLET'S POV

December 27th, 1959. 4:30 PM. Denver Hospital

Huh. I need to paint my nails. They're really bad. I never let them get this chipped! Well, I suppose getting into a plane crash does that to you.

I prop my feet up on Buddy's hospital bed. I don't see why they haven't given up and just given Buddy and I a room together. I'm always in his room anyway.

The door to Buddy's hospital room swings open and in trots Juliet, Russ, and Mr. and Mrs. Holley.

My eyes go wide. "Holy shit!"

"Holy shit is right! Are y'all okay?" Ella asks as she rushes to Buddy's bed. She places a hand on his forehead. "Oh, Buddy! You scared the life outta me!"

Buddy laughs half heartedly. "Sorry, I was a bit busy hopin' my leg wasn't gonna get amputated, I forgot t'call."

"It's fine now, honey. You're safe now. Momma's here."

Ella's motherly instincts kicked in hard, I see. None of her kids have ever been hurt so badly. Plus Buddy's her youngest, of course she's going to go into Mama Bear mode.

"Vi!" Juliet finally squeals as she rushes over. "Are you okay?"

"As okay as I can be, I suppose,"

Juliet awkwardly wraps her arms around me. She's still standing and I'm still sitting. "You can't die! Who else would I have to look just like in the world?"

"You know most people don't have someone who looks just like them, right?"

"Whatever, Vi. I'm just glad you're okay. You too, Buddy. We all know Vi'd die without you."

"Especially now that she's-" he mumbles, but cuts himself off.

I shoot him a subtle glare. I'll tell Juliet I'm pregnant when I'm ready for her to know.

Juliet looks suspicious but shrugs it off. "We brought you your presents!"

Russ, now wearing a Santa cap, grabs a a couple of wrapped boxes from the hallway. "Merry Christmas!"

I smile and shake my head. "You didn't have to-"

"Hush, Vi, we were going to give tou them in Lubbock but you didn't quite make it there, did you?" Juliet says, pulling up a chair next to me.

"Sorry we didn't make it, we were too busy narrowly avoiding death." I reply.

"We brought some things for y'all, too!" Ella exclaims. "We brought Buddy an extra pair of glasses incase y'all didn't pack 'em for the tour. I see you did, but it never hurts to have spares!"

"Thanks, ma. I'm sorry we don't got anything for y'all, we were gonna grab some last minute stuff once we got down there," Buddy says, frowning.

"Don't even worry about it!" Ella says. "I'm just glad y'all are okay."

Russ sets down the couple of boxes and pulls up a chair as well. "It was quite the hassle getting your parents to take the twins,"

Juliet nods. "You have no clue. We begged them."

"You guys didn't have to come," I reply glancing at Buddy. I can't quite gauge his feelings right now. I hate it when I can't tell what he's feeling. I hate it.

Juliet ignores my statement. "I wish Russ' parents lived closer."

"You and me both, baby," Russ sighs.

"Where do your folks live?" L.O asks. First words he's said since he arrived

"Oh, back in Indiana. I only moved down to Lubbock for school, but then I dropped out and just didn't go back home."