Chapter 5

The very next day, a private audience was held with the king, ending with Fei Yang to stay hidden as the king's guard.

"Her lady, Ju Ning, enters the palace!" a man announced loud and clear to all those that awaited her arrival.

Only a few servants were present to escort her to the High Peak Palace, since the lady did not like many people around her.

Also there, was the king along with Fei Yang and Yan Gui. Most importantly, her fiancé Wen Ling to accompany her.

The carriage stopped by the halt of the coachman that directed the way. Ju Ning opened the door herself and stepped off, not having a personal servant nor wanting anyone to open it for her.

She was not the type to have others do things deemed as unnecessary for her.

The few servants to escort her bowed upon her appearance, "Greetings, Lady Ju Ning."

She simply waved them away and bowed to the king.

"Your Majesty," she greeted then looked at Wen Ling not bothered to greet him, and simply took a glance.

The two were quite familiar with one another originating from their teenage days. Ju Ning was only visiting the palace with her mother when the young prince accidentally ripped her skirt when he tripped, grabbing onto anything that could possibly break his fall. This incident brought great shame to her, a day she will never forget for the rest of her life.

Since then, she's never greeted him and he could only accept his fate.

However, their relationship did deepen later on as the more she visited. The prince's father would have him accompany the young maiden whenever she came by. Although reluctant, he did so until the two were finally on terms with each other as individuals and not someone to look by.

"Pleasure to have you, Lady Ju Ning." the king welcomed with open arms.

"It is my honor, Your Majesty."

"Now that you are here, Wen Ling will accompany you back to his palace and give you a tour." the king spoke.

She simply nodded with a bow at his words before he then left along with the hidden foreign prince and Yan Gui.

It was silent for a moment until the 3rd prince spoke.

"Shall we go?" he asked her.

"Mm," she mumbled.

He shrugged to himself inside, and then proceeded to guide her there with the servants following behind.

"Your Highness," Yu He called.

"What is it?" her eyes casted to the ground where she sat.

"Say, why don't you tell me about yourself? I've been clinging to you for so long yet you never do. You always brush me off while I follow like a little duckling."

She took at glance at him to see that he's been looking at her the whole time, then looked away.

"What would you like to know?" she caved in.

He smirked, "Tell me, why do you still come although you know I will be here?"

Wen Yue looked at him once more, "Because near this place, is my mother's palace."

Realizing he hit a sensitive topic, he decided to try and counter it. He knew the events of that night, having been told by his father.

It was not a subject to be taken lightly.

"Hmm....then are you happy now that I'm here with you? You're not alone in this view anymore." he joked.

Her eyes never came off him but finally looked away with a smile on her face.

"I guess you can say that you've grown on me." she admitted.

His expression turned rather surprised. Wen Yue noticing how he suddenly turned silent, shifted her gaze to him.

"Did I say something wrong?"

He chuckled, "Of course not, Your Highness." his voice as ever filled with tease.

Over the course of these past weeks, it became less and less that she'd correct him on formalities towards her due to her lineage. She was now accepting of his rather casual remarks but not once changing her attitude towards him.

She never showed him the real her.

"Are those the only questions you'll be asking?"

"Nope, so here's my next one."

She waited for his next question, ready to answer.

"Do you hold feelings for anyone?"

Once that line reached her ears, her heart began to beat profusely.

"......What?"

"I said-" she cut him mid-way.

"No, I know what you said it's just...."

"Just what?" his expression turned calming.

"I don't particularly like anyone." she put it down.

"Hmm....next question." immediately dismissing the topic due to his lack of interest in it. "Do you play any instruments?"

"The guqin." her answers were rather short.

"It is a beautiful instrument. Won't you play me a song?" he asked of her.

"I don't just play for anyone." she merely stated, declining him in the process.

He frowned, "Alright, I won't ask you again." giving in right away. "Since you don't seem to want to talk to me anymore, I'll escort you back to your palace." he insisted.

However, she turned him down. "No thank you, I'd rather be alone." she waved him off and just left.

Watching her leave, he scoffed with arrogance, a rather annoyed one.

"Princess, why do you give me the cold shoulder?"

Walking to her palace, she sighed heavily. Her expression became troubled the moment she walked away from him.

Wen Yue was rather stoic whenever it came to him.

She wasn't her usual carefree self that talked without boundaries like she did with someone familiar. Her persona was of one that acted such a way whenever she was to look dignified before others.

One thing for sure, is that she didn't know how to handle the situation, and when the thought of him no longer being there came to mind, it bothered her.

"Ah....I'm afraid of myself." she could only try and brace herself.
.
.
.