Chapter 12

A funeral service was held days later.

That morning, Wen Yue was to fetch Wen Chen so they'd visit Wen Xin together. However, once she stepped into the room, the bottom of her slippers met the blood that had not yet completely dried.

She froze, and before her was her brother on the floor, lifeless, and a tainted sword covered in red.

Wen Chen was her last blood and now he was gone, and the fact that she found him this way, hurt her more than one could imagine.

Her eyes began to well up and before she knew it they spilled. The princess fell to her knees and crawled to her brother in a panic taking his body into her embrace.

No matter how many times she screamed his name, he will never wake again.

The day although bright, was filled with gray.

In the Wei Kingdom, funerals lasted for seven days, shorter compared to the other kingdoms.

The last day, Wen Chen was to be buried. Wen Yue came every one of those days. This day however, no one came except her to pay respects.

Clad in her white gown she left to the Scholar Palace where his body currently rested in a grand coffin.

Arriving, she quietly went inside and sat down before him. The smell of incense filled the room and her nose.

Who knows how long she remained there, just looking into a daze. Time felt slow, as she sat there not saying a single word.

The light in her eyes seemed to have gone and tears couldn't come. It was as though those days of her crying her heart out has now been completely drained.

Her face was now pale likely from not eating and sleepless nights, eyes swollen, and body looked as though no strength remained.

Then, limping steps came entering the room.

Wen Yue didn't even bother to look.

The person sat down beside her and payed his respects. He looked at her with a worried expression.

Those eyes of hers never once fell out of their trance.

It was silent between the two for a while until he spoke.

".......Yue," Wen Xin called her.

She didn't answer as her lips wouldn't part.

He took off his white overcoat and placed it upon her shoulders. The prince could tell she was cold.

"You know Chen.......he's......he's....." Xin struggled to find words of comfort. He didn't know what to say this moment, these past days.

He then sighed, "Chen loves you very much you know that? You were always there for him and everyday he'd always wait for you to visit the Scholar Palace, so that he can talk with you and take a break from his evil lessons." he softly laughed at that last part.

"........He always wanted to leave from his daily lessons." Wen Yue said in a low tone of voice.

The moment they left her lips, her eyes began to well up. Xin looked down to hide his torn expression. "Yeah....he always did." he said.

"My little brother.......he was always waiting for me when he shouldn't have." her voice broke.

Wen Xin couldn't bear the pain his sister felt. All he could do was simply be there for her.

Night came, and she sat on her porch with grief engulfing her. The instrument she loved to play everyday and composing that song, was now only before her to view.