The Ivy League Part 29

[Important! This is written from Jake's POV, and it's happening while Courtney is out on her date with Nate, Mark and Grace. So it's like two things happening at once. This is a more sentimental chapter, for all you lollers out there, but nevertheless, enjoy! :)]

JAKE’S POV:

           I heard a buzzing and groaned, digging deeper underneath the covers. The buzzing persisted, and I shoved my head under the pillow. Dang bumblebees.

           Something about that thought sounded strange, but since I was currently brain-dead, I didn’t really care. The buzzing stopped and I gave a happy sigh only to groan as it began again. Groggily, I peeled my eyelids open to see my phone vibrate its little electronic butt of my drawer where it fell to the floor.

           I forced one hand out from under the covers and it fell limply over the edge of my bed, pawing on the ground. I found my phone and it was a mission in itself, bringing it to my ear. Never wake Jacob Howe at – what time was it again? Ten freaking thirty in the morning on an almighty-flippin’ Saturday.

           “Yea-a-a-ah?” I asked, yawning hugely as I pressed the phone to my ear.

           “Jake?” a quiet voice asked me. “We need to talk.”

           The sound of her voice sent an electric shot through me, instantly jerking me awake. My drowsiness left me as fast as though I’d been doused with cold water, and my body’s reflex reaction was to sit up in bed.

           “What’s wrong?” I asked, and I was pissed at myself for still caring. Even now, after all these years.

           “Nothing exactly,” she hedged, and I let out a hiss through my teeth.

           “Let me get this straight,” I said in an annoyed voice, and on the other end I heard a bored sigh, “you woke me up, on a Saturday, for nothing?”

           “Yep, guess so. Where can we meet?” she asked considerately, and a powerful wave of nostalgia swept over me. She always used to wake me up, too, before. Not her sister, though. Her sister loved to sleep in as much as I did.

           “Gosh, well let me think,” I replied, scratching my head, “you can go to hell, and I’ll meet you there when I die, okay?”

           “Howe,” she growled in a warning voice.

           “McAllister,” I growled back at her. There’s one thing you should know about me, and that’s that I’m not a morning person.

           “The way this is going, you might find you’ll get there a lot sooner,” she bit back.

           “As long as you’re not there, even Hell would be Heaven,” I retorted, and I heard her breath hitch. I felt a tiny surge of regret.

           “Look, I’m just so tired of having it be like this between us. Can’t we at least talk? Please, I miss you,” she said softly, and I sighed.

           I missed her, too. But in the name of all things wonderful, wasn’t I trying to get over her?

           “I don’t know,” I said bluntly, and resisted the urge to chuck my phone out my window before she could get me to agree.

           “I already know that you’ve got the emotional range of a teaspoon, you don’t have to be afraid I’ll find out,” she teased, and I couldn’t believe how much I realized I’ve been missing her, too.