Chapter 81 | Singin' In The Rain

The rest of Charlus' birthday played out in a rather predictable fashion. The newly turned sixteen year old was extremely paranoid for the remainder of the day, constantly glancing over his shoulder and being conscious that he had to be aware at all times, for he never knew what to expect around the corner...literally.

As Euphemia and Charlus wandered back up towards the castle from the lake, Charlus' shoes still squeaking until Mia claimed that it was irritating her and she waved her wand swiftly, drying her boyfriend off in an instant, there was a rumbling noise that sounded a little like thunder to Charlus, at first. That was until he saw Euphemia concealing a giggle behind her hand and he knew that it had to be another prank.

"What's happening now?" Charlus asked cautiously and Mia batted her eyelashes at him innocently, widening her eyes though she couldn't disguise the twinkle of mischief peeking out from her grey-blue irises. "I have no idea," she responded, the ghost of a smirk lingering at her mouth but she bit down on her bottom lip furiously, digging her teeth right in so that she didn't release the laugh that was bubbling inside her.

"CHARGE!" came a sudden yell and Minerva dashed into the couple's sight, pointing her wand firmly at something with a grin spreading across her face. Charlus felt something akin to dread creep up in his body but resigned amusement was also wavering - he had to truly admire their creativity and that was in fact the case when a parade of desks galloped his way, chasing him all the way down the hill.

Another moment when Charlus 'admired' their creativity was when he finally trudged back up the hill, disheveled from being chased by the desks for the majority of the early afternoon, only to find himself incapable of walking. Though Charlus couldn't work out what charm had been cast on his shoes without him realising, the stickiness on his soles proved walking up to castle to be extremely difficult.

The entirety of his friends and the S.S.E.A.W. (including Mia, the traitor) were watching from the double doors, giggling and waving at him as his shoes dragged on the floor, gluing themselves to the ground before shooting him backwards so that Charlus landed on his backside before struggling to rise again, only to be faced with the challenge of sticky feet again.

This entire prank played out for a solid half an hour before Alastor claimed that he was bored and Filius waved his wand to remove the charm. As soon as Charlus realised that the spell had been removed, he took off running towards the castle which caused everyone else to quickly sprint away, not wanting to be the victim to his wrath. Florean was even screaming, "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!" at the top of his voice as they all rushed down the corridor, away from Charlus.

Throughout the rest of the day, Charlus found himself a victim to many more pranks - including one that made his hair change to different colours of the rainbow, every time that he ran his hand through his hair. That particular prank had been schemed by Euphemia because she knew just how much her boyfriend messed with his hair during a single day and so she had thought it exceedingly hilarious to play a prank that would change his hair colour every time he did so.

Another prank that took place that day was when Charlus decided to venture upstairs to his dormitory, where he found (much to his dismay and amusement) that all of his furniture had been placed on the ceiling, flipped upside down by some type of sticking charm. His mouth dropped into a perfect O as he looked at his bed on the ceiling, with everything hanging the wrong way up.

''What the....'' Charlus started to mutter and he reached up to his dangling bed post, trying to tug the bed down but it wouldn't budge, staying firmly fixed to the ceiling in a rather stubborn nature. It was turning out to be a very eventful birthday....

"I can't believe you would do this to me," Charlus said to Mia around about four o'clock in the afternoon on the day of his birthday. Euphemia simply beamed innocently at him again and pecked him on the cheek before grabbing his hand and pushing him through a door, which led him to a completely random place in the castle.