43| E v e l y n

You really, really know me
 The future and the old me
All of the mazes and the madness in my mind

You really, really love me

You know me and you love me
 And it's the kind of thing
 I always hoped I'd find, yeah
 Always thought I was hard to love
 Till you made it seem so easy, seem so easy 

-Easy, Camila Cabello

43| Evelyn

Evelyn dropped the box from her hand. The boys were gone in a blink. Mallory was still standing in the doorway, where Bryan had left her. She was crying, covering her face. 

Evelyn could hear murmurs behind her. Evelyn could hear their confusion. Evelyn could hear Mallory's sob. But nothing really reached her. There was only one sound going through her brain over and over again.

Mason is in trouble.

And it was enough. The voices inside her head started screaming. Her hands shook, her legs gave up. There was slight ache all around her shoulders and the back of her head. Her stomach churned and nausea took a hold of it. Evelyn covered her mouth and ran to her room. She let out everything in her stomach. Her throat ached and she swallowed it down. The pain spread from there. Her pulse was getting quicker. She knew this symptoms. Evelyn was going to have an anxiety attack.

The nagging second voice screamed inside her head. Evelyn struggled to breathe. She pressed her palm on the bathroom wall, focusing. She couldn't be weak now. She had to be strong. Mason was in trouble and Evelyn had so many questions. Evelyn needed to find him. Evelyn had to do something. She couldn't stay here like a weakling, crying and having anxiety attacks.

She stood up. Every breathe was a struggle. She splashed her face with water and looked around. She tried to name things around her. She saw the photos.

Evelyn came out of the washroom. She concentrated on the photos with good memories. She thought about the story behind them, forcing her brain to calm down. She looked at the photo with him. He was in trouble. Evelyn didn't even know a thing.

By the time she had made it downstairs, she was angry. Every feeling inside her had numbed. She found Mallory in the couch, crying. Ethan was pacing around making calls. Rita was with the kids. Mady and Dad was talking.

Evelyn grabbed Mallory by the elbow. She dragged her out of the house with her. Leaving her, she asked, "What is happening?"

Mallory spotted the anger in Evelyn's eyes. Her sobbing increased.

"Goddamn, stop crying like a baby and fucking tell me something," Evelyn said. Mallory attempted to wipe her tears.

Evelyn shook her head and paced in front of her. Mallory was here with Bryan. Bryan said they had solved everything. Then how was Mason in trouble?