11 | A Moment's Hesitation

A SHORT DISTANCE BEYOND ORODEN'S ENCHANTED BORDER

This was not how the young Shade envisioned the start of her grand adventure.

Naomi wanted to wrench her hair in boredom, but wisely subdued the burning sensation. It was a shame she could hardly see a thing amid the darkness within the coach. Save for an outline of the two benches built on each side of the spacious wooden enclosure, a few other items and compartments she couldn't make out, and a certain prostrate half-Shade, she considered herself temporarily robbed of sight.

The two windows carved on both entryways were sealed shut, to which Naomi was grateful for. She didn't know what creatures lay beyond the oak walls, and without a fire to ward them off, she had no intention of finding out.

Such fun this is proving to be. She frowned deeply and plopped down on the empty bench.

She could only remember how jittery she'd been when they'd drawn nearer to the magical border. A small tinge of fear that they might be denied departure had threatened to urge her into taking matters into her own hands. However, it was evident that Judah had certainly planned it through. They had lasted no more than a moment's wink before the two Shades had been permitted to depart the golden kingdom.

When they'd finally crossed the border, she'd known without a doubt that her nerves had over-hyped the expectation of what was to come. The night had grown abnormally dark, and the blazing fire that was to have been prepared earlier had yet to manifest.

And who's fault is that?

Brushing away the thought, she let out an impatient sigh and continued to wait as Judah proceeded to pack out firewood from under one of the wooden benches he was kneeling beside.

Along with his constant grumbling, the unmistakable clutter of wood disturbed the silence. An unseen number of logs were deposited one by one beside Naomi's feet, and she couldn't help but jerk each time one made contact with her skin.

She bent to rub the sore spots. "I'm tempted to assume you enjoy blindly inflicting pain on others, Your Highness."

A low grunt echoed from his side before a gritted response followed. "I would apologise, but I remember tasking you with this minor chore only moments after we crossed the border—"

"Which, if you'd permit me to interrupt, was highly irresponsible of you," she retorted, impatiently tapping a finger on her right knee. "I made it abundantly clear that I do not want to soil my hands on the first night. Touching firewood would've done just that. Or don't you agree?"

"Highly irresponsible," he repeated her words slowly, and Naomi could almost imagine him shaking his head in amazement. "One would think you'd show more respect considering the title you choose to attach to your statements."

Naomi bristled. "You can—"

Thump!

She narrowed her eyes when another log none-too-gently collided with her foot, but continued with her statement nonetheless. "You can hardly blame me for having principles, Your Highness."

"There are quite the number of things I blame you for Naomi," he responded with another grunt. "And tonight is by all means one of them."

Despite herself, Naomi's cheeks began to burn, and she shook the sensation away in annoyance. The Supreme help her, she was on the brink of clawing the half-Shade's back with unconcealed agitation. It was such a shame that she had a distaste for growing her nails longer than half an inch, otherwise, she would've done a fine job indeed.