Chapter 39: Andrew's Gone

A N D R E W

"Why did you agree with mom and dad anyways?" I asked Ethan.

Ethan sighed. "I had no choice. They were forcing me."

"You didn't fight back?"

"Looking back at it now, holy shit, they were guilt tripping me," Ethan muttered. "They also threatened to take Evanna away forever and I couldn't do anything."

"What are we talking about?" Brandon asked, walking into the living room.

"Do they know?" I asked Ethan.

"No," Ethan replied.

"Dude, what?" Brandon asked.

"We have to wait for everyone."

"Is it too hard too tell me now?"

"Mom and dad are separating and he's taking Evanna with her," Ethan said.

Brandon's jaw dropped. "You're joking. Tell me you're fucking kidding me."

"I can't do this shit anymore either," Ethan muttered. "I'm not having people blame me for stuff I didn't do."

"So Evanna's going to be separated from us?" Brandon asked in disbelief. "What the hell? Wait, our parents are divorcing?"

"No, it's just like a small break," Ethan said.

"That's a fucking divorce."

"I mean," Ethan shrugged. "Sure, but dad's trying to take Evanna away. She doesn't want to go."

I sighed. "I don't want her to leave either."

And that was when our parents, including Alex, Daniel, and Jayden walked into the house.

"Oh, it's so hot outside," Mom said, walking in. "Hey boys."

By the look of my brother's faces, I could tell they've been told the news already.

"Jayden!" Mom called as Jayden bolted up the stairs to Evanna's room.

"Mom, are you seriously thinking of breaking up?" Brandon asked.

"It's just a little time off with each other to focus on some of our priorities," Mom replied, smiling. "Don't worry, we'll still be together."

"I'm not worried about that," Brandon said. "I'm worried about Evanna."

"You're worrying about her more than our relationship?" Mom asked, confused. "Honey, I don't understand. We're your parents. But she's just your sister. Shouldn't you be helping us?"

Ethan put his hand on Brandon's arm, warning him not to say anything dumb. "Mom, you can't let Evanna—"

"She's my daughter," Dad cut him off. "I can take her. Why the hell are you trying to take her away from me?"

"You don't deserve her, that's why," Brandon snapped.

Shit.