Chapter 22

Ethan rushed through the hospital to the operation theater where the receptionist had said Dana was taken in for an immediate surgery.

"Tell me everything," he ordered the guard who was with Dana at the time of the accident. "How the hell did this happen?"

"It's a hit and run. Ms. Johnson and I were crossing the street and a black SUV broke the signal and ran her over. It all happened so fast. I've noted down the car's plate number and handed it over to the cops."

Ethan nodded, barely wrapping his head around the situation. "Did the doctors say anything? How is she?"

The guard shook his head. "No news yet."

"Jesus." Ethan covered his face with his hand and slumped down on a nearby chair.

This can't be real, he chanted in his head over and over again. As if, that would rewind the time and somehow undo what had happened.

"Please be OK," he whispered, resting his head on the wall behind him.

A few moments later his phone rang. It was Luke calling him.

Before Ethan could speak a word, he asked worriedly, "I heard you rushed out of the office. What's wrong?"

"Just come to the MountSinai Hospital. I'll explain once you get here." His voice sounded emotionless even to him.

"What? Hospital? Ethan, are you OK?"

"Just come," he repeated before hanging up. He knew he'd probably worried Luke more but he didn't know how to spit this out on the phone.

An hour later, they were still waiting for the doctors to give them an update on Dana. Luke had arrived at the hospital quickly and learnt about the situation from Ethan. He too, was shocked upon hearing what had happened.

"What if something happens to her?" Ethan asked. "How will I deal with that?"

Luke had been in a similar situation not too long ago during Bianca's complicated pregnancy. Things might not be exactly the same but the fear of losing someone was.

He placed a comforting hand on Ethan's shoulder. "Nothing will happen to her. This is a tough situation to deal with. But you have to stay strong so that you can support her. Understand?"

Ethan nodded. "I don't know how you dealt with it when Bianca was..."

Luke gave him a sad smile. "It's love that gives you this pain. But it also gives you the strength to deal with it. Trust me."

"I didn't know it could hurt like this," Ethan said. "I haven't known her for too long. But I'm incredibly attached. What I feel for her..." he shook his head, "I can't even describe that feeling. Just the thought that she is not OK, that she is in pain...it's twisting a knife in my gut."

"I know. I understand." Luke wished he had a way to take the suffering away. But he had nothing except for words to offer his brother.

"I wish this was all a dream..." he trailed off, shutting his eyes.

They let Bianca know about what was happening as well. But since no one could watch Nicolas, she reluctantly agreed to stay home after being promised that she'd know as soon as the doctors said anything.

Two hours later, the doctor performing Dana's surgery stepped out. Ethan and Luke jumped to their feet immediately.

"Doctor?" Ethan asked nervously.

"Are you Ms. Johnson's family?"

Ethan hesitated but Luke responded right away, "yes. We are her family."