Chapter Five: Awkward Encounters

The corridors were humming with life. Students busy heading to therapy sessions, catching up with friends and to the canteen. Harley found himself walking into the canteen, his eyes searching for girl dressed in black and contrasting orange hair.

His eyes narrowed on the girl who was stood in the queue. He grabbed a grey tray and joined the queue behind Cassie. His stomach rumbled reminding him that he hadn't eaten for almost twenty-four hours. He knew it was unhealthy, but when your mind is spinning and you have other things to worry about, food just wasn't a priority.

Although, he knew that Mr. Matton would be asking about his eating and sleeping habits tomorrow at his personal and intensive therapy session.

"How are you?" Harley asked Cassie as he placed the tray on the counter.

"I'm okay, thank you," she smiled, avoiding eye contact.

Harley noticed how her eyes looked sunken in. The makeup on her face was so natural that her vibrant freckles poked through.

"I'm just glad you're alright," Harley noted before turning his attention to the food in front of them.

He could feel his mouth water at the sight and smell of cottage pie, a meal he had loved when he was a child. He noticed Cassie looking between the different options on the list and wondered if she was a fussy eater.

"The food here is actually really good, their cottage pie is incredible," he added, hoping that reassuring her that the food was nice would be comforting. Then it dawned on him, she was working out what options were safe for her to eat.

"I think that's about the only thing, besides the vegetables that I can eat. At least I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan," she laughed.

"What can I get you?" The monotonous voice which belonged to one of the dinner ladies muttered.

It was clear that she hated her job or more than likely, the students she had to work with. Harley couldn't blame her at all, most of the students were rude. Didn't thank the dinner ladies when they gave them the food or complained that the portion sizes were too big or too small. Whatever they did, just didn't seem to be enough for some of the students.

"The cottage pie doesn't contain any nuts, eggs or fish does it?" Cassie queried.

Harley felt sorry for her, he knew from their encounter yesterday that she had allergies, but it never occurred to him how it impacted her day to day life. The dinner lady slapped some vegetables and the cottage pie onto the plate and passed it to Cassie, who thanked her.

"Can I have the same please," Harley smiled at her.

"How are you Harley? You didn't eat yesterday," the dinner lady noted. She had always been pleasant to him and he knew it was simply down to his manners towards her and the rest of the dinner staff.

"I wasn't hungry, but I'm starving now," he laughed as she added a second spoonful of the cottage pie.

"Well remember, you need to eat."

Harley took the plate and thanked her and slid the tray next to Cassie. He reached over her and grabbed a bottle of orange juice and a golden delicious apple – the only variety of apple that he ate. Cassie repeated his actions and grabbed an orange juice and an apple.

"Are you copying me?" Harley asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I'd die if I ate anything else," She deadpanned.

Harley's eyes widened and sucked in a breath. He was unsure on how to react or reply to her comment and it was evidently painted on his face. Cassie just laughed and nudge him with her elbow.