Chapter One

"Our deal." She stands in front of the desk, staring at the man who has done so much yet so little.

"What about it?" Jovan Powers raises both eyebrows at the devil in disguise standing before him. Her eyes are brighter and filled with determination. He hasn't forgotten about the deal they made. Never have and never will. She made sure of it.

The devil's eyes flash dangerously. "Don't test me, old man. The deal. I want your end of the bargain now."

Powers raises a brow. "You found him?"

"I have leads." She says vaguely, both hands on her hip. "Since you're not bothered to help, I've come to the knowledge of Mara and Levi Adams in a small town in the border of Georgia. I'm going alone if I can convince them to back off."

Powers knew how dangerous her mission is. It's an untested grounds and she is more than capable of fending for herself and more, considering her limits are endless.

"I see."

"Remember the deal, Powers. I'll come by tomorrow to see if you remember." She turns to walk and when stops at the doorway. She looks back. "If they won't listen to me, it's up to you to fulfill it."

Jovan Powers gapes, still amazed by how alluring her voice is and the hard edges of her face. It almost distracted him but the deal rings in his mind.

He wonders...

*****

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Ethan grins as he viewed a throng of people standing inside under a cut-up bunting spelled out in his name. Each of them wearing grins of the same kind and he felt all yellowy inside.

"Thanks, guys." He turns to his older brother by a few months. "Did you do this?"

Cole nods towards one of the people standing to his left. "Your girlfriend had the idea first."

Ethan was met with Emilie, the girl he has dated for almost four months. Her silver-blonde hair glimmering, cascading down her back. He loves it when she has her hair down. Her expression was shy and after all these times, Ethan just couldn't understand what made so shy in front of him when really, she's not.

She folds her hands on her chest. "Like it?"

Ethan surveyed the room once again. It was utterly amazing. "I love it."

A group of people starts chanting kiss over and over again made him pull her close and covered her mouth with his. Cheers broke out from everyone. Someone threw a bucket of confetti over them. Ethan couldn't stop the smile that breaks through the surface.

Ethan grins, can't stop the happiness that radiates from him. The whole place had turned into a festive in just less than a day. There were balloons, silver balloons stuck on to the ceiling. And he didn't miss the three-tiered cake in the middle of a table.

"A day closer to your death, buddy!" the all-too-familiar voice of Juan Fernandez, one of his childhood best friends.

Ethan rolls his eyes, hugging him in gratitude. "I hope y'all have a damn gift for me."

"Duh." Juan rolls his eyes and then he pulls someone out the crowd.

Kyle. His other and last best friend.

The glasses sitting on his nose slid slowly and he pushed it up. "What he said." Kyle gestures to Juan.

Ethan fondly grins, shaking his head in laughter. Kyle was a man of a few words. Things like words don't come naturally for him. The best gift Ethan would love to get is his words, his thoughts, and his opinions.