Chapter Fourteen- Cell Phone

Pushing open the door to my apartment my heart continues to beat from the lie I just told both my boss and Max's boss. She would have normally been home by now, but I haven't heard or seen from her since that night that I left the club. On my way home I have called her over 20 times, and I think I've texted a record number of times to her phone. I tossed my bag messily onto my shoes and head straight down the hallway to Max's room. Normally I would never go into her room but to say the least, I'm starting to panic. Looking around her room, it has a mirrored effect of mine, but it was slightly less messy than mine, and all the things in her room were a darker shade of grey or black. It didn't look like anyone had been there since we had left for the club, I can see that she still has a few items of clothing left out on the bed which isn't like Max.

I sigh leaving Max's room feeling like a creep for being so disappointed that I didn't find anything or Max herself. I head back down the hallway and into the living room to grab my bag from dance. The black bag sits nicely next to the door where Max and I keep our shoes. Seeing Max's shoes cause a chill to run over me, normally I love being alone but right now I'm not enjoying being alone in our apartment that is usually filled with noise. Even when I was living at home, there would always be something going on but since moving to the city I have had times where I've felt the most alone in my life.

Tosing my bag into my room I sink into my bed, I have a few options on what to do now. Either I try not to freak out and ignore Max's disappearance assuming she's fine or I call someone who can help me search for her. I hold my phone, Kat may still be mad at me but I know she would help if she knew how serious it was, but if I told Jack he may actually know where she is. Max doesn't like everyone mulling over to so I have hesitated in making it seem like I'm trying to get ahold of her.

As I go over the options in my head, just wasting time worrying about Max, my phone finally rings. I pick it up without thinking.

"Max?" I ask happy to hear from her,

"No, dumbass." I hear my brother's voice over the line causing me to sigh, "You don't seem to happy to talk to me."

"I've been trying to get ahold of Max, she's been gone for two days," I left out to Zach, even though I can tell that he's still mad at me, he's required to love me so I'm not too worried.

"Wait are you serious?"

I frown, "Ya, you're supposed to tell me I'm overreacting." I don't understand why my brother seems concerned about Max.

"Who else have you told?" Zach starts to move around in the background, "God damn Dawn why do you have such a problem with not telling people things lately?"

"Zach I was going to tell her!" I let some of my frustration out.

"Now when was the last time you saw her?" Zach groans.

I pause not exactly wanting to admit, "We went out after when both you and Kat were here."

"And what else?"

"Um... I wasn't feeling well and let early... I haven't seen Max since." I don't want to admit to my brother that I was actually drugged or that the only reason I was safe at home is because of his best friend.

"Dawn I know you're not telling me something. We need to find Max." I frown not understanding what is wrong with Zach.

"Fine I got drugged and I left without Max okay? You happy now?" I snap

"Are you okay? Did someone hurt you? I swear I will.."

"Zach I'm fine, I got home just fine by myself." I lie, "I feel horrible about it and I can't find her..." I sigh

"Damn Dawn why didn't you tell us? We should have been looking for her days ago."

"Tell us? What the hell are you talking about?"

Zach groans and I think that I hear something in the background, "I mean me, Dawn I'm just frustrated."

I sigh, "Why did you call Zach?"

"I wanted to... apologize for being mad about Kat."

I give a mad laugh, "Sounds like you still are mad."

"That's because I am mad but I'm mad at the situation, not you, and I'm sorry that I took it out on you."

"I love you too big bro." I smile, "Do you think you'll be able to find Max? I've been covering for her at work but it's not going to last much longer with them hearing from her."

"I'll do my best to find her..." Zach pauses, "Don't stress too much D, everything will be alright and we'll find her. Okay?"

I sigh, "I guess so I'm just getting worried that she's not home yet."

"Go to bed and I'll call you in the morning." Zach sighed, "Will you be able to cover for her for another day?"

"I'll try but I think they're going to start thinking that I'm lying soon."

"Just do your best Dawn, I'll see if I can figure out where she is."

"Thank you, Zach, I'll talk to you in the morning,"

Zach says his goodbyes and hangs up. I don't know what exactly he is going to be able to do. He just moved to the city and just started a new job with Jack. I doubt he will find anything but it's nice to have at least someone else looking for her. I lay back onto my bed trying to sleep.

I lean over to look at my heavy-duty alarm clock, that I ordered online. The clock screams five in the morning but I'm wide awake. I've barely slept at all and I feel like I'm going crazy waiting for any word from my brother. I grab my phone giving up and call Zach, there's a chance that he hasn't looked for her yet and is still asleep but I try anyway.

"You're awake early." My brother says on the other end, sounding like he was up all night.

"Did you find anything?"

"Yes and no." Zach sighs, "I have her phone but not her. I'm sorry Dawn."

I sigh, trying to control my emotions, "Okay... can you bring her phone over to me?"

"Ya, I'll be over in an hour or so."

I sigh, and head into the shower, trying not to freak out. After relaxing my muscles and getting ready for work much earlier than usual, I eat my breakfast and wait for Zach. Finally, there's a knock on the door, I open my door revealing my brother. He immediately pulls me into a hug and tears start to stream down my face without warning. We may fight a lot and he's a big pain but I know that I can count on him when I need him, and I've definitely missed having him around.

"Here." Zach hands me the phone that is definitely Max's, it's almost dead and full of notifications mostly from me. "What do you need it for?"

"I'm going to try and get ahold of her boss, to get Max off the hook from work for a while." I give Zach a small smile, wiping my eyes.

"You're a good friend." He ruffles my hair, and his phone starts to ring, "Hello? Right now? Okay, I'll be right there."

"What is it?" I ask letting curiosity get the best of me.

"I had someone start looking for Max, and I think we might know where she was seen last." He starts to head for the door, "Just cover for her for a few days, and I'll let you know as soon as I hear something."

"Thank you, Zach, you're the best." I smile a little watching him walk out the door, hoping and praying that he can hide her with whoever he's working with. And that I can convince Max's boss to believe she's actually sick.

_______

FRIDAY UPDATE

It's been a very busy week for me! I'm starting my progress to move into my own apartment- SO exciting but a lot of work.

Don't forget to comment and send me messages- I LOVE to see them

Love you all- Mama Em