34

Alex

"She's always been a little

"She's always been a little... needy. Even before my father passed. She was practically incapable of taking care of herself, let alone us. I became that person who payed for everything. Covered everything. Provided everything." I explained, before swallowing the pain killers that Christian had shaken into my hand.

"It's not a crazy thing, you know... wanting to take care of your mother. That's understandable." He replied.

"I know... it's just that I know better. I know I'm enabling her. Every time I send her something, she burns through it so quickly. Sometimes I wonder if she legitimately thinks money grows on trees." I leant my head against the wall as I got a grip on myself. The nauseation was subsiding but that was swiftly being replaced by a terrible headache. "I know she's using the money on drugs and alcohol."

"Then draw that line. Have discipline with yourself. Make sure she understands that you're no longer going to be that provider. You're no longer going to throw money at the problem. If she truly wants to help her situation, then by all means, she can reach out to you... but only when she's ready to do that."

I nodded slowly at Christian's words.

He wasn't saying anything different from what Joan had told me. I basically had to stop being a lil bitch and man up.

Sadly, that was easier said than done.

Christian inched closer to me until he was on his knees with us face to face. His eyes looked baggier, like he hadn't had much sleep these past few days. I had almost forgot I personally hadn't slept at all before our trip. I must have looked even worse right now considering I was also hungover.

Those spiraling of thoughts made me become instantly self conscious as his eyes studied mine. He was so close, he could probably see all my dirty and clogged pores.

I wasn't sure why I was getting this feeling he was going to kiss me...

When I thought of it, pieces of memory from the night before, resurfaced. It was a vague scene where Christian was helping me get out of my business clothes.

Did we... kiss last night?

"But enough about all this shit. We've got one more day to enjoy the city before we gotta head home. Let's not waste it on bathroom floor chit chat." Christian spoke. His thumb graced my chin for a moment before he stood up. "Come on." He instructed, offering his hand to me. I hesitantly took it. "I know just the place for the best hangover pho in town."

-

"Christian, if you're turning left, you have to yield for all the cars in oncoming traffic that are turning right. That's why it says 'Left Turn YIELD On Green' you didn't do the 'YIELD' part."

"What? No. You're telling me not only do I gotta wait for all the motherfuckers going straight, I gotta yield for their turning asses too? That's a whole lot of waiting, I'm not doing that."

"Well I guess there is always death. I'm surprised we didn't fucking die earlier." I mumbled back to him as we waited to be seated.

Before Christian could come back with a rebuttal, we were both scared out of our wits by our names being shouted from somewhere in the restaurant. When Christian and I glanced over in that direction, I was surprised to see John Terry sitting at one of the booths. He signaled for us to head over. Christian gave him a smile, but quickly turned to me.

"Okay listen, don't talk. Don't mention getting drunk. Don't say anything... just apologize."

"An apology is going to require me saying words, Christian." I replied, with my eyebrows furrowing.

"Don't get smart with me." Christian nipped back.

I didn't think I was getting smart, I was just genuinely confused on what I was supposed to do. Talk? Not talk? Apologize? Stay quiet? He wasn't very clear on these instructions.

"Alex! Christian! Lovely to see you both out and about! Please, come join me for brunch." John continued to grin as we made our way to his booth. When we reached his table, I noticed he was sitting across from none other than Jack Nickelson.

Oh great.

As soon as Christian saw him, I visibly noticed Christian's face get three shades redder. All he was missing was steam coming out from his nostrils and ears. Before Christian could say or do anything, I slid into the booth besides Jack. It was probably best if Christian and he weren't sitting side by side. Christian slid in besides John.

"What have you two been up to today? Hopefully enjoying the city." John spoke. I was sure he was speaking to Christian, but he was looking directly at me. He was looking just as perfect as I remembered him. I wasn't sure how I was supposed to answer his question... or even if I was supposed to. Was this when I talk? Or was Christian supposed to do all the talking? Who the bloody hell was supposed to talk?

Luckily, Christian stepped in. "We're just enjoying our last day here. Alex and I haven't really had a break from work these past few weeks, so I wanted to treat him to a work-free outing."

"That sounds very nice. How are you liking our city, Alex?" Jack asked, as he turned to look at me. I saw Christian visibly cringe.

"It's Alexander." Christian cut in.

"But you just said-" Jack started, but Christian cut him off.

"I know what I said. It's Alex to me but Alexander to you."

"But John just-"

"I know what he said too. It's still Alexander to you."

I glanced between Christian and Jack. These two looked like they were reading to jump across this table to get at each other.

"Okay, Alexander, it looks as if you really enjoyed your evening last night. A little birdie told me you spent it wasted in a bar?"

Christians nostrils flared at Jack's words. Now he looked ready to kill.

"Oh don't act so above it, Jack. It's not like you made it to that third meeting either." John interrupted. I think he could also tell how close Christian was to murder.

"Speaking of that, I messaged a good friend of mine who lives here in NYC. He owns a few... adult establishments around the downtown area here. As it turns out, he mentioned seeing someone in particular last night. I didn't know you frequented Honey, Jack? A strip club on a Monday evening? That's quite adventurous."

I almost choked on my own saliva.

It was now Jack's turn to turn a few shades redder.

••