43. You

Liam

My heart was pounding in my chest as I stood in the living room, waiting for the moment she would walk in.

I hadn't planned what I was going to say.

Every time I even thought about talking to her, I'd just break into sweats.

I haven't been this nervous for anything, in a really long time, but then again, I hadn't done anything this important in a long time either, something that wasn't about Bea.

I was ready to do this.

I was going to tell Rena that I love her.

Fuck. I'm not ready.

My bright idea was to lie.

I didn't want to, but it was needed because I think I'm the last person that Rena would want to see right now.

My reaction to her confession wasn't the best. I never said it back to her. Hell, I never even chased her. After a lot of scolding by my parents and hers, I'd realised how dumb of a thing that was to do.

I wanted to tell Bea first, to make sure that she was okay with what I was going to do.

Bea was fast asleep, hugging her little toy turtle closer to her, as the other one slept in his little glass kingdom.

I was just so excited to tell her that I was going to confess to Rena.

I felt bad to wake her up, but I wanted her to know. Immediately, when Bea's eyes opened, she jumped up and into my arms.

Before she broke a rib of mine, I sat Bea down and asked her if it was okay if I liked Rena. She seemed very happy about that and then when I asked her if it was okay that I loved Rena and wanted her to be mine, Bea looked ecstatic.

She wanted to go to Rena in that minute. I told her we just had to wait a little more, until I figured out how I would do this.

So, back to the lie I told...

In a moment of both bravery and stupidity, I called Sara and Danny for help.

After a lot of convincing, and I mean a lot, they finally agreed to hear me out and I spent about two hours, the day after Christmas, telling them that I really, really loved Rena and just wanted a chance to beg her for both forgiveness and for her love.

Danny looked like he wanted beat the shit out of me and I didn't blame him, but he also finally agreed that I deserved a chance. Especially if it meant no more hurt for Rena.

He was very clear on how he was only doing this for Rena, and only her.

So, after a lot of talking they said Rena wouldn't want to see me, but they could let me use their place for a little bit, so we could talk.

They basically encouraged me to lie and I did.

It was why I'm currently standing in the middle of their living room and scared shitless.

Rena thought she was coming over to hang out with Danny and Sara, and I wasn't going to tell her any different.

I needed her to hear me out. I need to tell her the truth.

I'm so fucking in love with her.

I could feel my hands beginning to feel all clammy again, and then I heard the door.

This is it.

Deep breaths, Liam. Just like Rena says.

The keys jingled in the lock for a second and then the door clicked open.