- 3 -

Richie grabbed the plastic bag from Eddie and hooked it around his bike handle. "Too bad Mike isn't here, we could've used his basket." Eddie shrugged and got onto his bike. "Just be careful it doesn't rip," Eddie warned as he rolled his bike to meet up with Richie. "Yeah, yeah," Richie said as he got onto his bike. He looked out to the streets before turning to Eddie. "Hey Eds, I'll race you to the hideout."

"I'm not-" Eddie started got cut off when Richie took off across the street. Eddie pushed out a breath and looked left then right before peddling across the street. "Rich! You didn't look both ways before crossing." Eddie heard Richie laugh out before he turned around to look at Eddie. "What are you? Seven?" Eddie's shoulders fell as he cruised down the sidewalk. "No.." he muttered.

Richie was ahead of Eddie by a few feet. His tacky Hawaiian jacket blowing in the breeze. Eddie watched as Richie's hair blew back in the wind as they turned a corner. His heart pounded in his chest, half from the exercise and half from-

"Hey, isn't that Bowers' car?" Richie slowed down and Eddie had to break hard to avoid hitting Richie's bike. Eddie looked ahead at the upcoming cars. A mustard yellow car with the windows rolled down was driving up the hill. "I.. I think so," Eddie said. He looked over at Richie, who's eyes were wide with fear. "Let's- let's go," Richie said, quickly kicking off. Eddie nodded and soon followed, keeping an eye on the upcoming car.

Henry caught sight of the two boys. An eerie smile creeped up onto his face as the car slowed down. Richie tensed and tried to peddle faster, but his foot slipped off the peddle and he skidded to the right. "Rich!" Eddie said, braking. Richie got ahold of his bike and met the worried eyes of Eddie. He looked away and towards Bowers.

"Hey fag! Going for a stroll with your boyfriend?" Bowers called out. Richie visibly winced at his words. Eddie watched with wide eyes as bowers laughed and sped away. Eddie turned to Richie and helped him steady himself. "Are you okay?" Eddie asked softly. Richie fixed his glasses and looked past Eddie. He turned around and met eyes with a judgmental old couple. "Come on, let's go." Richie nodded and went with Eddie down the street.

The two peddled slowly in silence. Richie looked directly ahead, never once breaking his gaze. Eddie looked at his friend from the corner of his eye. He wanted to say something, he wanted to break the thick silence, but nothing came to mind.

"I- I'm not gay."

Eddie blinked and looked over at Richie. He glanced at Eddie, their eyes meeting for a second. "I don't know what Bowers was talking about." Eddie forced out a breath. "I- I wasn't.." he trailed off. "I could tell you wanted to say something." Eddie looked forward and silence fell between them again. Eddie bit his lip and his eyes went misty. Richie isn't gay, he said so himself. "Well," he said, "if you were gay, I'd accept you." Richie perked up and looked over at him. "Re- really?" Eddie blinked the tears away before meeting his eyes and nodding. "Of course, you're my friend." A smile forced its way onto Richie's face. "O-okay. Great, thanks Eds." Eddie smiled and looked over at Richie. "Hey Rich, one more thing." Richie nodded. "Yeah?"

"Any more stuttering and you'd turn into Bill."

"Fuck you, Eds!"