CHAPTER 3

'You look good.' Caden says putting his palms in his pant pocket and slightly leans against the table, his face is void of any emotion.

'You too.' I croak out. He indeed looks good. The light stubble in his face is giving him a slightly rough edge which compliments his twenty eight years old self.

I am currently standing in front of Caden in his new office room, intended for the CEO or chairman, I don't know. I never thought, I would set foot in this room or more, stand in front of Caden as my chairman, period.

After giving that file to him, he insisted that I should brief him about it and literally dragged me here. So here I am.

On the whole way, I thought of every possible scenario of what could happen. Is he going to confront me about what happened five years ago? Are we going to have closure which is long overdue? Is he going to get angry after seeing me here? But out of all this, I never expected this.

He is calm, really calm, like nothing can bother him which is a total contradiction from mine.

Seeing him after so long, face to face, is like getting stumped all over again. The erratic thump thump of my heart can be heard even from a long distance. My breathing is coming up short, shallow and I am probably panting, I can't tell.

I try to make sense of the whole situation and at the same time, try to reason in my head. He is not mine any more. He means nothing to me now. We were over a long time ago. But no matter how much I try, my heart doesn't seem to listen.

How is he so indifferent? Isn't he feeling anything? Am I that insignificant to him now? And I know, I should be too. Then why does it hurt so much?

The atmosphere between us is so awkward. So I try to say something to diffuse it. 'Caden, I-'

Caden flinches hearing his name on my lips and I flinch too, seeing disgust in his eyes. Does he loathe me that much?

'It's Davis to you.'

I feel like I have been slapped in the face, hard.

What have I been thinking, that we will talk, then become friends like some of the couple who stay as friend after break up?

'How did you know that I will buy this company?' He asks curiously.

'Huh?' I furrow my eyebrows in confusion, thinking I heard him wrong. Did he say I knew he would buy this? How could I know this? Why does it matter anyway?

'Did you think by taking a job in this company, you can seduce me again? Then, think again.' He says with a small chuckle.

'What?' He thinks I took this job just to go near him! He just insulted me with the worst possible way.

I know, I was stupid for even thinking that he will act civil. May be it was because in my heart, I still couldn't let go of him. May be a small part of me, even after all this, still want to hope that we will be together.

Even though, I know it will never happen and more, I will never let it happen.

I have better self respect than that.

So, I try so hard to hide this part and lie to everyone that all this doesn't matter anymore. That I hate him for putting me through all this. I even lie to myself. Hoping that not accepting it, will make it true.

But it doesn't mean I will let him walk all over me like he did before. May be I was caught off guard a few moments ago, seeing him after all this year, but not now. I take a deep breath and force my voice to harden.

'Look, Mr. Davis-' I say emphasizing on every word to get my point across. 'I didn't know you would buy this company. But I can assure you that I have no intention of working under you. I will give you my resignation letter next Monday.'