Chapter Forty-three

LEXION

"I can't believe you're being this irrational!" Lex professed

"Irrational?"

The threat in his mate's tone let him know the word he'd used was in poor taste, but Lex wasn't going to back down. "You challenged Leo to a fight for the pack when you're a healer who's not allowed to even slap anyone. What would you call that?"

"Well I can't believe you don't trust me to secure your inheritance?" Her hands settled on her hips in a belligerent pose. "Or are you calling me weak and incompetent like your sister did?"

"Of course not." He shouted his frustration. "Your strength lies somewhere else, not fighting and Leo chose five girls who're also not the best at fighting."

Lex glanced at the girls Leo had just sent their way. The emo almost seventeen year old Nia had said would be stronger than her bloodline once she shifted stood besides a book nerd. In front of them, an undersized seventeen year old huddled besides a cheerful girl who'd never thrown a fist.

Last was an angry teen who loved to fight but had no talent for it. When Lex had protested his sister's selection, Leo had stated they were the only ones she could find who wished to fight for Nia. Maybe the emo girl had but Lex was sure his sister had coerced the others.

"I told you they're fine and yet you still don't believe me. I know what I'm doing and I wish you'd trust me." Lex wanted to trust her, but he couldn't see how she could have this. "After all I've told you about me, you still don't know me. Being a healer doesn't make me incapable of leading a pack."

"I never said that."

"Really? Then why won't you let me prove it? That's what your pack has been gunning for all this time. It hurts that you don't have faith in me."

"I do Nia."

"Really? Then act like it." She demanded then turned to leave.

"Nia!" He called to her but she ignored him as she left his suite. "Why can't she understand this is huge?" He asked no one in particular.

"She's right Lex," his gamma Kai stated with a sigh. "Leo has opposed her from the moment she got here. This was inevitable and I think its been Leo's endgame from the start."

As much as he wanted to deny the idea, it made too much sense to disregard. And Nia had been right about Leo wanting the pack. Lex had never thought she'd go this far.

Since the alpha bloods in their generation were closely related, chances were the spare heirs would mate outside the alliance. Something that had long since galled at his sister. While Lex was grateful to be the Petersen heir, he wouldn't have minded mating outside the alliance. That was part of the life of an heir.