Chapter 19

This is stupid, this is stupid, this is STUPID!

Lainey convinced herself as she exited her bedroom and made her way down the hall into the living room that what she was about to do was beyond reckless. But her body seemed to be moving on its own.

There was no going back.

Mom was sitting on the sofa, watching dramas based on real-life tragedies like she usually did on the weekends. Lainey decided not to disturb her and grabbed her jacket from the coat rack by the front door.

"Going out?" Mom asked as Lainey pulled on her jacket.

"Yeah, sure. Is that a problem?"

"Back by eight," Mom curtly said.

"I have a curfew now?" Lainey incredulously said as she pulled up her jacket zipper.

Mom turned to face Lainey.

"Back . . . by eight."

Lainey shook her head.

"Fine. Whatever," she muttered, making her way toward the front door. "I wasn't planning on being out that late anyway."

She almost slammed the door shut on her way out.

She stared down the lonely block of Dead Man's Lane, wondering why she hadn't yet turned back to go home some time during the thirty-minute walk.

"Curiosity's definitely gotten the better of me," she whispered to herself as she took her first steps down the block.

Minutes later, she was standing at the front door of the old house, gathering courage to ring the doorbell when she heard his voice.

"Coming back here was dangerous."

Lainey turned to face Benjamin Crawford who was staring up at her from the foot of the steps leading up to the house.

"What are you?" she asked.

Benjamin watched Lainey observantly, but didn't respond.

"What are you? Answer me!"

"Is that why you came all the way back here?" Benjamin asked.

"The Internet was hardly any help," Lainey continued, ignoring Benjamin's question. "Sunlight doesn't effect you so you're obviously not a vampire. You eat people. Like a zombie or something. But I don't remember zombies being able to talk. Or possessing superhuman strength and speed. So what are you?"

"You're not going to find your answer in fantasy," Benjamin laxly said.

"Fantasy?" Lainey whispered. "What's fantasy anymore? I'm talking to an undead . . . monster."

Benjamin squinted his eyes at Lainey.

"Did I ever do anything to you for you to label me as a monster?" he said quietly. "In fact, if I remember correctly, I saved your life."

Lainey averted Benjamin's gaze and shook her head.

"It's only a matter of time," she muttered. "Joseph told me how deadly you are. How you were the deadliest monster he's ever known." Her eyes landed on Benjamin again. "How you'd kill me if I stayed around you long enough."

There was blatant irritation on Benjamin's face.

"He told you that?"

Lainey solemnly nodded.

Benjamin scanned the area.

"We should go inside," he said.

"Why all of a sudden?" Lainey asked nervously.