Chapter 14

There I see a tiny Chinese traditional gazebo by this beautiful giantic pond with a elder man to be in his 70s. He has a long bead as he stroke it couple of times and in a tan robe along with a black hat. As he was sitting in a red cushion with a low table in front of him.
I walk toward the mid-age man along with my two oranges.
"Umm.... Excuse me, sir." I interrupted him.

He stop and look at me.
"Sorry for intruding, but I kind of pick your oranges without asking permission" I said feeling somewhat guilty and showing him the two oranges in my hands.

He stare at me and started to chuckled.
"Those oranges are not mines but nature." he reply. "But I guess the tree will be fine with you taking two of its oranges; since, it's purpose is to bare these fruit for us to eat," he said and also I smiled.

I soon got closer to him and saw him playing a game with white and black circle on a board.
"What are you playing?" I ask.

"Xiangqi (Chinese chess)," he said.
I stare at it with curiosity as I was on the other side of the table with my two oranges sitting right next to me. I also stare at the musky yet clear pond that was beside me; it was beautiful yet somewhat familiar.

"Do you want to join me?" he ask.

"I-I don't know how to play," I said.

He pick up a piece off the board and taught me how to play the game; I listen and nod my head while the information soak into my brain. Soon enough I began to move the pieces; however, I would look at the elder man to see if he will help me, but he will never help me though.

Hours pass as my oranges rolled a distance from where I was sitting, meanwhile we were caught up in a match. I was in deep thought of where to go, we both sat in the mist of the day as birds were chirp and flying along with the swaying tree with the wind picking up and the pond gleaming from the direct sun light. I slowly pick up a black pebble with my index finger and thumb and lifted it, while I was thinking of where should I place it. I move my hand forward but I hesitate and withdraw. I look up for him to get me a hint, but he did nothing and stroke his bead. I took a deep breath and place my black pebble.

He broken into a smile and chuckled, "If you place it where you wanted to before, you could've won"

"What! That's not fair," I whine and tried to change my moves.

"It's too late," he chuckled. Then he move his piece and beat me.

"*Sigh* I should of listen to my gut" I continue to complaint. There I notice the sun will be setting soon as he notice too.

"Well, it's getting late. You better head back," he inform me.

"Yeah. . . but. . . I- I kind of don't know where am I?" I said.

He genuine smile which somewhat remind me of the 1st prince, but I shrugged off that nonsense.

"Where are you going?" he ask.

"Umm, to the 4th Prince court" I reply.

"Ah," he said like old people always say. "If you go back where you came from there's a slanted pathway by a big willow tree." he directed me.

"I was there, but I didn't see any slanted pathway" I said recalling back.

He got up and lead the way while I grab my two oranges with me.

"So how long you been here?" I did small talk.

He chuckled, "Since I was baby,"

I nod my head in response. "So you must of been lonely to be in this big palace" I said without considering my words.

He was silent and was in deep thought. "Yes, it's sometimes lonely" he finally reply back.

I must of offend him.
"My apologizing for saying that without considering your feeling, sir" I said.

"No, it's alright. I just never thought of it until you said that," he said rest assuring me.

Soon we reach to the big willow tree, he looked around to see nothing, but a huge dead tree trunk with other tree branches hanging down as he walk toward it and push the them aside.
"Here's the slanted pathway" he said.

"Oh, it was block by this log and branches. Thank you and it was nice to meet you, sir." I said and bow 90 degree while waving goodbye.
"I think it's best for you to go the long way back." He said.
"No, it's alright." I said and climb over the huge log. "Thank you again."
I turn back to see the elder man with his bead to be out of sight; therefore I draw my attention back to my two oranges in both of my hands and smiled.

I can't wait to get back to my court and make something with these oranges.
I hurried along and soon enough I knew where I was, I walk back to my court. There I see Lin waiting anxiety for me and once she saw me, she hurry towards me.

"My lady, I was worried sick. Where have you been" she said and she grab my right wrist.

"Sorry, I got lost of track of time. I was exploring," I smiled. "And look what I got," I held the two oranges up for her to see.

"Lin, can you bring me a container with a lid that will shut. Also bring me a knife, cutting board, spoon, and sugar" I was naming off a list and she soon left. As I went to wash the oranges and return back to sit under the gazebo.

Lin finish bring all the things I ask her and place it in front of me. I move the container away for me and place the cutting board in front of me with the knife in my hands. I began to cut the orange into slices until I finish cutting both oranges into slices; I push the cutting board along with the slices of oranges up and place the container in front of me. I then scoop a spoonful of sugar and sprinkle it all over the bottom container. After that, I pick up each slices and place them on each other to make a layer. Then I scope a other spoonful of sugar and made a layer of sugar on top the oranges. I continual to follow the same step over and over until I had no more orange slices; I cover the container with its lid and set it aside to sit.
Okay, all done. Now I have to wait for a whole day and then I can use it for tea.

I was about to clean up, but Lin was ahead of me and have clean up. She grab all the stuff away from me and was about to leave.
"My lady, once I come back I will bring in your dinner. Go in and see your new bed and pillow until I came back" she said and left.

I got up and left the gazebo as I enter my room; there I see the same style of bed, which is a flat bed with a hard pillow.
*Sigh* still the same.

The sun set as darkness cover the sky and there I lay in the new yet same bed with my eyes closing after I finished eating.