Chapter 27

He was silent for a bit and then broke into a smile. " I guess you speak correctly," he said and laugh as we continue the match.

"So how long have you been emperor?" I started to do small talk while I place my piece.

"Since I was 15 due to my father dying." He replies. It was his turn and he picks up his piece then place it down.

"Wow, that's pretty long," I said somewhat bewilder. "Must have been hard," I sympathies with him.

He smile at me; however, it felt somewhat sad to me. I place my piece and open my mouth to speak, " I don't want this to be offensive or anything but if you had the chance to not be emperor would you take it?"

He sat in silence as he was fidgeting with a piece in his fingers. He then chuckled sadly, "You know. . . I-I always ask that question myself," as he places his piece down.

We sat there in silence while the wind picks up and a breeze brush against us, I didn't know what to say and show a weak smile.
"Well, at least you have a fulfilling life with people you love," I said, trying to lighten the mood.

"I do expect. . . for. . . the love of my life." he said, breaking his silences. I look at him to see him looking far into the pond.

"I would love to listen to your story" I requested.

He begins his story, " Well, it began when I was 17 years old and was a stubborn, arrogant emperor. I was going into battle with another clan; however, along the way there I was ambush and got shot by an arrow then stumble off a cliff. I was nearly alive when a young woman found me as she was passing by and took me in. She saved my life and cursed me. She was an unknown doctor who lives in a small hut outside of the palace and in the forest. She would pick herbals and berries for medicines. During my recovery, we both had fallen in love with each other; however, I was still the same stubborn, arrogant emperor who still wanted to rule the throne. Finally, that day had come where I had fully recovered and had to return to my place. I didn't want to separate from her so I ask her to follow me to my palace as she was hoping for the best, but once we got back she couldn't be my empress due to political reasons, so I make her my daily doctor. Then one day, I was a force to marry a woman from another clan to make our allies stronger, so I had a choice to make chose our love or my throne. . . My biggest regret was choosing my throne and I decided without a second thought as her last words to me was 'I thought I was enough and each day I hope it was true, but my hope is not strong enough then our love for each other; however, I was wrong. Our love is nothing compared to your throne. . . ..' The look on her face as I left her alone without turning back. . . Brings me tears . . . Ever since I have found out that she had died from a broken heart that day was when I started questioning my decision." he finishes.
I sat there, nodding my head and continuing to listen to every word he said.
"I am sorry," I said as that was the only thing that came to mind.

"It was my choice and I have to live with for the rest of my life." He said and his eye was so sad.

"Well, how do you feel now after letting it all out?" I said, trying to help him see in a good way instead of negative.

His smile slowly creeps up and then he was satisfied and seem pleased as if a burden came off. I then place my last move as it was the end of the game.

"It seems you like you have caught on pretty quick," he said as I have beaten him.

"I hope I can once again join you," I said.
I then said my farewell and left the emperor alone in his thoughts. I walk the long way to my court. While I was walking, I stare at the moving clouds. There I picture the heart-broken lady with sad eyes being left alone.
*Sigh*
I took a deep breath.

Meanwhile, I have reached to the main palace and there I saw the 1st prince with dancer Liulang, I sneakily watch them from afar, letting them have their time together as she had to leave. Once she left, I saw the 1st Prince's eyes glazing her sadly.
Huh?
I clear my throat once I reach to him, "What's the long face?" I ask.

He was startled for a bit and came to realize it was me, but he did not speak and kept to himself.

"Would you like to join me with a cup of tea?" I referred to a settling place to have a conversation.

After a few minutes, I was serving tea between me and the 1st Prince. He brought his cup to his lip while I set the teapot down.

"So, might I ask what was that sadness in your eyes awhile ago?" I ask.

He took a while to speak, "I'm getting arranged married" he let it out which I was taken back for a bit.

"To whom?" I ask.