Chapter 35

Once we arrive in my room, "Thank you, but my maids can take it from here," I said, but he did not leave and just stood there not saying anything.

"I'll wait here until the doctor has arrived," He says and sat down by the table.

I bite my tongue, "Fine," I said. I didn't have the strength to argue with him today. Lin and Mei Mei help me, wash up and dress me carefully.

"Mei Mei, can you bring me a mirror?" I ask. She nods and left for a few moments. She returns with a bronze plate. I grab it and look at the wound on my neck. There I see a thin long line that blood was forming in a circular shape as it was not a deep cut. Finally, the doctor had arrived and put medicine on my neck and then bandage it.

"Lucky, it's not a deep cut, but drink this for 2-3 days." He said and handed me a bag of herbs to boil in water. "and the reason why you were shaking was you were just overwhelmed and stress. You just to relax and rest, but the most important thing is not to think too much." The doctor said.

"Thank you, doctor," I said and he took his leave.

I inhale and exhale air through my nose to clear my mind as I close my eyes, but once I open them my mood soon dies once again, still seeing the 4th prince sitting by the table.

"You may leave now," I said and stare at the 4th prince.

He didn't bother saying anything and watch me as I walk up to him. "Please leave, so I can rest," I said. He then gazes at my neck which made me uncomfortable. "Umm.," I utter and use my hand to touch my neck. He soon got up and left without saying anything.

Soon enough Lin and Mei Mei had set a place to sleep with me tonight. I then started to hear a soft boom from afar. "What was that?" I said and walk toward the window and unhook the window. I pull the window open to see beautiful fireworks shooting up in the dark night. It was a sight. As it burst in the sky and slowly fade away into the night. I settled myself on the floor and stare at the sky, watching the firework blooming. Then Lin, Mei Mei, and I hear a rustle from outside and soon heavy footsteps rang towards my room. All of our bodies became tense in fear. I quickly shut the window and lock it. Lin and Mei Mei came to me and cling to my side while I try to rest assure them even though I was also freaking out. The footstep became louder and quicker towards us. I scan around the room to find a weapon and there I found a vase. I pick it up by the rim and prepare myself.

Bang, the door shot wide open as two feet enter, but it wasn't any kind of feet, it was two tiny feet. As a young boy has rushed in with cold sweat dripping down his face and his expression was showing horror.

"5th Prince, are you alright? You seem scared?" I ask and look at the boy, cover in sweats.

"Ummm, I- I was just. . . checking on you...." he stutters slowly.

As another faded boom enter the room and he came running to me. He quickly wraps his arms around my waist and buried his face in my stomach like he was terrified.

"Little prince, are you afraid of the fireworks?" I question him slowly.

Boom, another firework has shot up in the sky as he hugs me tighter and quickly nodding his head nonstop against my stomach. I smooth his back with my right hand.
"There there, it okay," I whisper to him like a mother.
His body seems to slowly relax a bit.

A few minutes later, we all had settled down and the little prince holding my hands. When another firework has been lit, he squeezes my hand.

"So did you came running here because it's less loud?" I ask him and lower my head to see his face.

As he quietly nods his head in agreement.

"Can you tell me why are you scared of fireworks?" I said and look at him, but he was looking down onto the ground.

"Because... it's loud and sound scary. And also . . . this is the first year I'm all alone..." he said quietly.

"Wait, what do you mean?" I ask. He then became completely silent and started to squeeze my hand again, "Okay, you don't have to tell me, but where's your mother then? She must be waiting for you?" I ask a different question, but then he squeezes my hand harder.

"My lady, the Empress had passed away..." Lin said softly.

Then the 5th Prince said, "Because of me... She passed away after giving birth to me.." he said, starting to cry.

"Oh, I'm so sorry that I brought it up..." I said, feeling horrible as I pull him to me and started to rock him in my arms. "Don't you have a nanny or anyone with you?" I ask.

Then he started bawling harder, "She just passes away last year..." I felt extremely terrible for speaking. I hug him tighter.

"I'm soo sorry, but it okay now you have me. I'm here for you." I said, patting his back and petting his hair. "And now you have me. . . come." I said, wiping his tears. He looks up and stops crying.

I then walk him towards the window, still holding his hand, and unhook the window and soon open it. "Don't be afraid. I'm right here, okay?" I said, showing him the fireworks.

He slowly hesitates at first, but I slowly place him in front of me as I held his shoulders.
"Okay, look!" I said. I had one hand still on his shoulder while I bent my knees to reach to his level and then point to the sky.

As the fireworks appear and the faded sound rise, his body tense up. I use my right hand to slowly pat his shoulder.
"I'm right here. Look, how pretty it is?'' I said and stare up at the sky. The firework spreads out its color and slowly sprinkles away.

Then came another one as it was blue.
"WOW," The little prince said and looking so amazed with his mouth open wide as all his fear was gone.

"Look at that one," he said and pointing it out.

I smile and nod in agreement, "yeah,"

After watching the firework together, I finish tucking in the little prince in my bed as he was completely drained out along with Lin and Mei Mei sleeping as well. I smile, looking at all of them doze off. I then sat beside the 5th prince, sleeping peacefully.
     This little boy has been through so much that I could truly never fully understand what he has been through. How does this little boy handle these painful things in his life? I- I just couldn't be able to hold it together.
I then reopen the window and stare at the quiet night.
    All those moments when I was sick, scared, or even lonely she's there for me. Her scolding me out of love when I didn't put my jacket on or not eating my medicine. Her homemade food as she set it down on the table. She always thinks of me and buying me clothes and snacks.
Oh, how I miss you... mom to just have you... here with me.