Chapter 53

The sun had set and I headed back to my room.

I will talk to Princess Hua Lan tomorrow morning because I'm very tired now. And also from the incident of the 1st Prince, the Emperor had put more guards out.

I headed to my bed and threw my exhausted body on it, I shut my eyes as soon as my head landed on the stiff cushion.

Then later in the night, in the midst of quietness, I hear my doors jingle as if someone was trying to get in, and then I heard footsteps creaking against the wooden floor. My eyes shot up in fear as I turned my head slightly towards the door to see a shadow passing by, and soon it vanished. I quickly got up and hurried to lit a candle, and once the candle was lit my fear slowly faded away. However, I had another problem. I hesitated for a long time before I finally walked towards the doors. My finger touched the handle of the door and latched onto it; I then opened the door to find nothing, but darkness.

Maybe my imagination?

I was about to close the door until my eyes caught something. I crouched down and picked up a sheet of paper that was laying on the floor. I read it and then I quickly scan around again. "GUARDS," I called out.

Soon two guards appeared before me and bowed their heads before answering. "Yes, Concubine Liling?"

I pulled the letter behind my back as I spoke to them, "Did anyone come through my court?"

They both shook their head, " No, Concubine Liling." as I was silent.

"But some of us rotated positions to allow us to have a break," one of them said.

"Alright, thanks. You two may go back and do your duties," I said and they went off.

I shut the door and looked down at the letter as it wrote, "It's best if you stop instigating or else you will get it... "

I set the letter down and began searching for a ribbon or rope to tie the doors together.

Okay, this may help me from keeping out an intruder?

I grab the letter and fold it up carefully.

This will be for evidence....

Morning arrived and then the door began to jingle and move violently as my body jolted up. "Who's there!", I shouted.

"It's me, my lady," Lin said softly.

"Ah! Coming!" I said and hurried off the bed and untied the ribbon to let Lin in.

"My lady, why did you tie the doors together?" Lin asks.

"Well, it was just in case to stop anything from coming in," I said, and then Lin looked at me weirdly as I did a chubby smile.

I hurried Lin to quickly dress me for the day. "Why are you in such a rush, my lady?" Lin asks.

"Cause I need to talk to Princess Hua Lan," I said and was out the door as Lin tried to follow behind. I headed towards the 1st Prince's court, but once I was passing the 4th Prince's court, he came out as well. We both stop and stare at each other. As I remember yesterday, " I don't have anything to talk to you so if you may leave.....I'm kind of busy". My lips pucker up and my face tensed up as I glare at him.

"Hump," I said and turned my head away before walking away.

I enter the 1st Prince's room to see Princess Hua Lan setting down the bowl on the table. "How is he?" I ask.

She then realized that I entered the room and smiled at me.

We soon left the room to let him rest more before we had a discussion. "He is doing well, but hasn't fully awakened yet," said Princess Hua Lan.

I nodded and we continued to walk to the kitchen again, and then I began to tell her what I had learned from the other maid's side.

She listened as I finished before I clear my throat to inform her something important, "*sigh* Princess Hua Lan, last night someone came to my court and threatened me." I pulled out the folded sheet of paper and showed what was written on the paper.

Then someone said, "Greetings, Concubine Liling and Princess Hua Lan," as it was the guard from before, showing up in front of us. He greeted us by raising both of his hands together at us and his shelves were pulled down. There I saw a tiny scar that seemed recently on his arm and recalls the sharp corner that had some blood on it.

I then ask, "Where were you last night?"

He didn't break a sweat and said, "I was on duty, Concubine Liling," and just stared at me.

I remember the guards saying "... some of us rotated positions...." as it would make sense for no one to realize it.

"Why do you ask, Concubine Liling?" he said, smiling deeply and giving me a long stare.

I smiled back and said, "And why do you think I have asked that?" As his smile died and lowered his hand to his sword.

I whispered to Lin, "go get help," and then spoke loudly, "Lin, go get me my fan. It's getting hot." Lin slowly hurry out.

I continued to smile and said, "I would like to ask you another question. Where were you the night the1st Prince was poisoned?" my eyes went straight to him yet being careful.

Then he chuckled and said, "So now you know, it was me."

"Why did you do it?" barked Princess Hua Lan.

"WHY!" He laughed. "Why should I tell you?"

"Don't you feel ashamed of yourself to be an upper-class guard and yet poison the 1st Prince that you work for," Princess Hua Lan seems to taunt him.

"Shut up!" He shouted, getting frustrated before pulling out his sword and charging to Princess Hua Lan.

I looked over at Princess Hua Lan who froze in place, just staring at him. I hurried and used all my strength to push her out of the way. As the 4th Prince was marching over and yelled, "STOP RIGHT THERE!", but the guard raised his sword up before I just finished shoveling Princess Hua Lan out of the way, and I saw the sword striking down.