The Betrayal

~The Betrayal~

Leaving had been easy. After Daire's disappearance, Tim, Jason, and Dick left the manor, all making up pretty excuses as to their early departure. Damian had went up to his room, Bruce to the cave. Even Alfred had wondered off to be alone.

Without any supervision, with a heavy and hurting heart, Damian threw on his Robin outfit and climbed out the window. The defense systems were still shut off, making it too easy.

Tears pricked at Damian's eyes under the mask. Daire wouldn't have left without telling him. But then she had. She hadn't even left a note. He wouldn't have believed it if Bruce hadn't shown him the footage. Damian, himself, had scanned through it, finding it unaltered. He had stomped away, wordlessly.

He still couldn't believe it. Daire would never leave him like that- like this. Even when she left the League of Assassins, she snuck in to wish him farewell. She dotted on him with hugs and kisses until she had to leave.

He felt hollow. He wasn't good enough. He wasn't entirely sure what he did wrong, but he knew he'd prove himself. He'd prove his worth. Damian Al Ghul Wayne was trained from birth to be the best, and that's what the boy was.

But it still hurt. He felt empty. There wasn't a warmth to fill his aching chest. He was alone. Completely and utterly alone.

He landing softly in the loft Talon called home.

Maybe not completely alone.

Talon wouldn't leave him. Talon saw something in him even Bruce- the Batman- didn't. Talon needed him, even if Daire didn't.

He wandered a few steps in before stopping. Hood over his pained features, he stilled, letting the shadows swallow and bend around him. He waited, standing silently until Talon returned.

"Hello, Robin."

oOoOoOoOoOoOo

"Your grandfather would be proud. I'm proud."

Tender but firm hands gave a gentle squeeze to young shoulders. Daire schooled her features at the coaxed words, remaining neutral.

Returning to the League of Assassins wasn't something Daire particularly wanted. But it was necessary.

oOoOoOoOoOoOo

"So I put four bullets in Big Frankie's head," the gang leader bragged as a server handed him his food. The server put in extra effort to not look at the man hanging by his arms from the ceiling. It was always best to not look. "He never saw it coming. I was twenty- three years old, and with those four shots, I took control of all the crime families in the east end. By the time I was thirty, I'd taken half the city.

"Heh. You got stones, Mr. Draco, that's for sure," his thug complimented.

"Stones alone ain't enough, Gene. You gotta have brains too. And let me tell you- Big Frankie? He had brains. All over the room." The room busted out laughing at the morbid joke. So caught up in laughing, Mr. Draco chocked on his chicken leg.

He stumbled back, right into Talon. Talon wrapped his arms around the crime boss, performing the Heimlich maneuver.

Draco turned in appreciation. "Holy Jesus. I might've croaked on the spot if not for-" Talon stepped into the light, stopping him in his tracks. "Who the hell are you?"

"I'm the evening's entertainment." He pulled out two blades. "Can I get a volunteer from the audience?"

No one was willing to comply. They all pulled out guns, shooting mercilessly at Talon, who rolled back into the shadows.