fifty-four.

SEPTEMBER 14th, 1991, SEATTLE, WA

          REAGAN WOKE UP feeling significantly colder than she originally had when falling asleep. Of course, the fact that she was naked and had drifted off in Dave's arms the night before gave reason to the convulsing shivers wracking her body, but it was still nonetheless an unfortunate way to be roused from sleep.

She squinted to her right, catching sight of Dave swaddled in the sheets. He'd stolen them all from her in the middle of the night. She shouldn't have been surprised.

In an attempt to stake some claim in his bed, she tugged at the sheets, pulling some back over to where she laid. She shivered again, cursing under her breath.

"Who steals sheets from their pregnant girlfriend?"

Although she'd only whispered, her question seemed to wake Dave. He let out a muffled groan, obviously feeling the aftershock of a long night of drinking. Somewhere along the line of the endless night, the band had dispersed and he and Reagan had ended up back at his apartment, but that didn't necessarily eradicate the copious amount of liquor he'd consumed at the club.

"Good morning," Reagan said brusquely, yanking more of the sheets up to her chin. She still hadn't quite yet forgiven him for leaving her to freeze.

Dave rolled over and moved closer to her, draping an arm over her torso. He smiled contentedly before opening his eyes fully. She looked down at him, cocking an eyebrow as if to ask if he was happy with himself.

He stared at her for a passing minute, drinking in the sight of what it was like to wake up next to her in the morning. It still felt like the best present in the world, one in which he had not grown accustomed to yet.

She felt her tightened gaze dissolve when he she stared at him. He turned his face inwards to kiss her bare shoulder. The feeling made her sigh with happiness. Waking up cold could hardly deter her from loving him, even if he was a sheet-stealing culprit.

"Let's get married today," he suddenly said very quietly.

Reagan glanced down into his eyes, still gripping the sheets against her chest. Just in looking at him, she could feel what he felt — the sheer joy of knowing that they had their whole lives to steal sheets from each other and wake up together in the same bed.

"Okay," she whispered back without a second thought, sinking lower down into bed to curl her fingers around his face and kiss him.

________

"I can't believe we're doing this now," Kate exclaimed from the passenger seat of Reagan's car. They had just pulled up outside of the King County Courthouse, a light rain dousing the the scene and lowering the temperature significantly. Contrary to popular superstitious belief, Reagan did not take the downfall of rain on her wedding day as a bad omen.

"Me neither," she admitted, shutting off the engine to her car. She couldn't exactly define how she was feeling as she sat there, staring out the windshield. Excited most definitely, but still numb. Still in disbelief that her time to get married had finally come on that rainy September day.

Arrangements had been made speedily. Reagan had known that above anything, she wanted Kate there, not only as a second witness to the union, but as her support system. Her younger sister would have never forgiven her if she hadn't received the invite.

After deciding that they would make things official, Dave and Reagan had made separate plans to retrieve their respected companions. He'd gone into Olympia to grab Kurt while Reagan had tentatively driven onto UW's campus, mentally preparing to tell Kate the news. Naturally, Kate had gone berserk when she'd heard what they had suddenly planned.