Chapter 8

"Stop it! You know that tickles," I couldn't help the giggle that escaped my lips as Sam trailed gentle kisses across my neck, the tip of his nose brushing against my skin. I felt him smile as he ignored me, yet again, and wrapped his arms around my waist.

Even though I feigned annoyance, I cuddled up against him, his chest a warm, solid wall for my back. I couldn't even put into words how much I enjoyed the feel of being wrapped up in him completely. I'd never realized how nice it was to simply be held by someone else.

We hadn't really put into words what we were to each other. Or how we felt about each other. But there was something there, and I knew Sam felt it too. Whatever it was.

"Well, if I keep doing it will it get me one of those cookies sooner?" His voice was a low rumble in my ear, his accent turning my stomach into a puddle. I only felt butterflies around him when he did that.

"No, actually. It'll probably take longer," I tilted my head up towards his, raising an eyebrow.

He frowned and rolled his eyes before kissing my forehead and resting his chin on my shoulder. He looked like a puppy who'd just been scolded and I laughed as I scooped the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies off the baking sheet.

We'd decided to go for a simple recipe tonight. The only issue I had was that the cookies only needed 15 minutes to bake, meaning Sam and I only had 15 minutes to wrap ourselves up in the other. I'd gotten used to having him kiss me for what seemed like hours.

"All done!" I announced as I moved the last cookie onto the plate we'd set out earlier. Sam wasted no time grabbing one, practically eating it all in one bite. "Delicious."

He leaned down to kiss me, his lips tasting of chocolate as he tilted my face up to meet his. I smiled into the kiss, wrapping my arms around his neck, enjoying every moment. At least, I enjoyed every moment up until the second a gasp filled the room.

"You bitch!" I heard a voice shriek before Sam and I split apart. My heart sank as I saw Avalee standing at the door, pointing a polished finger at me, a sneer on her lips.

I could see Sam's expression transition to anger as he realized what Avalee had called me. I was more worried about the fact that she was here. That she'd caught us.

"Avalee..." I managed to croak out.

"No. No, don't you dare say anything," she shook her head. "Oh I can't wait to tell Prince Derek."

"No, you can't tell him. Please, Avalee, you can't say anything," I pleaded, a small tear trailing down my cheek.

"Why shouldn't I?" she smirked. "I don't think he'd be happy to know you're 'involved' with his best friend."

Sam took a step in front of me. "You've been throwing yourself at me from the moment I got here, Lady Avalee. I think my best friend would like to know that."

Avalee scoffed indignantly, but I could see a hint of fear enter her eyes. I knew Avalee was a flirt. She certainly didn't try to hide the many times she gave the guards a coy wink or smile, and I knew she'd flirted with Sam. But I didn't know she'd been throwing herself at him. My stomach churned, not only with my fear that Avalee would tell Derek, but with the fear that Sam had just been playing me all along. The fear that he didn't actually have any real feelings for me.

"If you breathe a word of this to Prince Derek, or to anyone else, I'll make sure you regret it," Sam spoke, the first time I'd ever hear him use the stern and commanding voice of the future King of Italy.

Avalee scurried away quickly, not without throwing me one last dirty glance. Sam stared at the open doorway for a moment, his gaze cold as steel, before turning to face me. His expression softened as he glimpsed the small tear stains on my cheeks.