32.

Angelic voice.

AFTER saying those words, a smile crept up on his face and his two maidservants shivered at the sight. Although their mistress' smile is beautiful, making people sigh in admiration, they knew her too well to know what that smile means. Their mistress is up to something no good again. This past few days, their hearts were placed on their throats, unable to calm down whenever their mistress is doing her antics.

"Xiaojie, please don't do anything rash, your family clan members will be gathered tomorrow morning, here at the Wei main estate. You better not cause trouble that will anger your elders"

As always, it was always Meigui who worried a lot about him. Yan Gen looked at her with forlorn eyes, as if he was offended by what she said. "Meigui ah... who said that I'am going to cause trouble?"

Meigui internally weeped, her mistress' expression says it all. After she lost her memories, she became much more easier to read. All of her emotions can be seen on her gorgeous face, her mistress is like an open book now. Wei Zhilan used to smile so sweetly even in front of her enemies to cover up her feelings of wanting them dead, or anything to cover her malicious intents and dark thoughts . Her smile is hard to read, sometimes fake, sometimes genuine, sometimes it has many different meanings altogether.

"It's Spring festival tonight, the capital must be lovely. Wouldn't it be a waste if we let this pass?" His two maidservants have an expression that says 'we knew it' but their delicate eyebrows furrowed. Obviously, his idea didn't have an appeal to them.

"The spring festival is celebrated for fifteen days and tonight is the most crowded day for it's the first night to welcome the new year. Xiaojie, you must not go. For a noble lady like you to mingle with those commoners is degrading, your elders will also not permit you to go at this time of the night for sure. You should just properly recuperate in the estate. The whole household is also busy preparing to welcome the new year and your relatives from different branches including those from far away place will also come here to celebrate tomorrow"

Baihe talked it out to him to persuade him not to go, but how could he not go? Hearing that the ambitious Wei relatives will gather at their main den which is here, makes him more want to go out. He'll have fewer chances to sneak out if the Weis arrive here, he can only mingle with them and he'll have to be constantly looked at, being the di daughter (legitimate child from a main wife) from the main branch has its disadvantage.

"It is exactly because it's the first night to welcome the new year that I must go because its the liveliest. It won't be the same for the next following days, the people's liveliness tonight must be overflowing"

Yan Gen stood up and that made his maidservants alarmed, they readily charged to him to stop him from whatever he's planning and beg for him to stay put in the estate, else they'll be really in trouble. He readily dodge and wave his circular fan around in hand "Worry not. I will not go alone, I'll invite Wei Yuu to come with me"

Their eyes widen in surprise, that is even more outrageous. Although they were cousins, both of them are unmarried and unengaged yet. This will make people misunderstand their relationship.

"Xiaojie, you definitely can't invite young master Wei, he has his own matters to deal with and you have your own matters too. You'll come of age soon and be married while young master Wei is preparing for the Imperial examination and will soon take an official position and a wife." Baihe kneeled, followed by Meigui "Sister is right. Xiaojie, you must not go or you'll earn the wrath of the Wei elders"

Looking at their pretty faces that are almost on the verge of crying with their eyes turning red as seconds passed by make them look very pitiful and Yan Gen's heart soften like a melted ice cream. How can he leave his beauties behind? A true man will not let his beauties carry grievances for him, a true man will not leave his beauties behind!

Nonetheless, bringing them outside with him will only cause more trouble and he doubt that they will agree to go out with him at this time, they might restrain him from doing whatever he wanted, limiting his fun outside. Can't do this and can't do that either. Yan Gen was left without a choice to stay in his courtyard in boredom. Isn't he such a sensible young man? His bright face a while ago dimmed, no longer smiling and carefree as he sat beside the window. His right elbow propped on the window sill as he put his right hand under his jaw, his other hand is dangling outside, eyes gazing longingly outside. Giving a hint of loneliness and isolation. He can faintly hear the people's joyful chatter, their footsteps as they wander around in the street.

Sometimes he can occasionally hear firecrackers. Yan Gen sighed for the ninth time. Being a noble is not that good, be it as a male or female, he can't just do whatever he wanted.

Seeing him like this, his pretty maids felt a little bit bad but this is for his own good so they shake their guilty feelings away.

"Xiaojie, it's already late, you must sleep. You have to get up early to welcome your relatives tomorrow morning" Why is it that this goddess' life only revolves around her clan and that loathsome fifth prince? Yan Gen feels agitated. Why can't a woman party outside for the whole night until she's dead drunk?!

He was about to open his mouth to say that how can he sleep again when he just woke up after his whole day's sleep, is she an idiot? But Yan Gen pursed his reddish lips instead. Not daring to say those words aloud in front of his pretty maid, else he'll hurt her feelings. He must endure this pain alone, his maidservants have suffered for him a lot of times.

"I'am not sleepy, you can go now" he then pointed at the starless sky and said "I'am waiting for the fireworks, it must be beautiful" hearing this, his maidservants got infected with his mood and they dejectedly closed the door. Yan Gen was not actually planning to obediently stay inside the estate. However, the guards guarding the estate doubled due to their gatherings tomorrow. They even hired a handful of famous martial arts experts, presumably from jianghu to guard inside and outside of the Wei estate, even a fly wouldn't dare to come in and out of the estate, much less Yan Gen who's only a beginner of sneaking out.

Less than an hour later, Yan Gen started singing a song that he often heard from one of his dorm mates who's a dork that likes historical series since he wants to be an archaeologist. Don't get him wrong, Yan Gen preferred rock songs over this slow melodic song or whatever it is, but it didn't match his mood today.

"The night has not ended
The cold moonlight reflects the western window
Carefully recounting pass over and over.
The dream is long
Yet we're always meeting and then separating
With teary eyes, l long only for you to glance back
The wound in my heart has frosted over
What I can't forget is your appearance
Recalling our first meeting
That past , the instant where we both saw each other
Unable to grasp those out-stretched fingers
A broken heart from separation
Futile tear because you have not returned..."

Yan Gen was surprised with his own voice. No--wait, it is Wei Zhilan who possessed such an angelic voice. It sounds so soothing, so sweet, and so soft to the ears. This girl almost has everything, she's almost perfect. If Yan Gen meet Wei Zhilan in the modern world, he will surely idolized her, making her his goddess.

Hearing such a divine voice, Yan Gen continued singing. A little obsess with his own voice.

"The water of the river of forgetfulness quietly watch the disputes of the mortal realm
Reversing time, drinking that cup to forget affections
If it was like our first meeting, who will I return for?
Yet again, autumn has passed and spring is returning.
Dreaming and waking--

The melancholic atmosphere shattered when a black shadow passed by from his peripheral vision in a lightening speed, all of a sudden, a white figure appeared before his own eyes and what comes next from his mouth ruined his pure image.

"F*cking Cunt!" He jumped back in surprise, followed by a series of curses that he knows.

The song he's singing is an OST from 'Goodbye My Princess'. There's a video of it above.

Votes and Comments are highly appreciated :)

©Editer