Chapter 8 - Devastation

"You will never know true happiness until you have truly loved, and you will never understand what pain really is until you have lost it."

Alejandro's POV

I was sipping my whiskey while sitting on the couch in my penthouse. I didn't stay in the mansion; I didn't want to see my mother's face. Every time I saw her, I remembered that day. I had gone to the mansion twice when my mother wasn't at home since the funeral for checking Lucia. She asked me to stay in the mansion, but I refused.

My phone rang, interrupting my thoughts. I sighed, annoyed and grabbed my phone. I frowned as I saw Andrea's name on the screen. She had been calling me since I broke up with her. I didn't pick up her calls, but she still kept on calling me. I breathed deeply and picked up my phone.

"Alejandro..." She said nervously as soon as I picked up my phone.

"Don't call me again. Don't you understand? We broke up." I snapped in frustration and hung up without letting her say anything.

I breathed deeply and threw my phone onto the couch. I stood up and walked towards the bar cabinet as I ran my hand through my hair angrily.

Andrea was getting on my nerves. Was it difficult to understand that we broke up? She didn't leave me alone, annoying me with her calls and messages. For heaven's sake, leave me alone!

I poured a glass of whiskey for myself and drank all of it in a sip. I placed the glass down on the table and went to the bathroom. I smelt alcohol.

After taking a shower, I wrapped a towel around my waist and stopped in front of the mirror. I looked at myself in the mirror and rubbed my beard. I leaned my hands against the sink counter, staring at the man who I didn't know anymore. The man whose heart turned to stone. There was nothing left from that man I knew very well. I breathed deeply and went to my walk-in closet.

I grabbed a white shirt and sweatpants. After putting on them, I went to the living room. I grabbed my phone and called my secretary.

"Good morning, sir." She replied politely as soon as she picked up my phone.

"Morning." I mumbled, running my hand through my hair. "Buy me a new number and don't give my new number to anyone." I demanded.

"Alright, sir. I will buy it and send it with the driver." She said.

"Bye." I hung up the phone and threw it onto the couch.

I poured a glass of whiskey for myself again and sat down on the couch. I took a sip from my drink and placed the glass on the centre table. I leaned my elbows on my thighs and held my head between my hands.

After the driver had brought my new number, I called Lucia and Cedric and informed them that I changed my number. Then I booked a flight to Boston for tomorrow. I didn't want to stay here anymore. It would be better if I went to Boston before my studies started.

The following morning, I woke up with a pounding headache. I had fallen asleep on the couch. My body was arching. I rubbed my temple and sat down on the couch. I leaned my elbows on my thighs and held my head between my hands. I breathed deeply and stood up. Then I went to the kitchen and took a painkiller. I went back to the living room and sent a message to Lucia asking her to come to my penthouse. After informing Cedric that I was leaving, I went to my bedroom and started packing my suitcases.

Once I finished packing my suitcases, I went to take a shower. After the shower, I dried myself with a towel and put on a navy blue shirt and black pants.

As I heard the elevator doors opened, I went back to the living room.

"Alejandro." Lucia beamed at me and approached me.

"Mi hermosa." I said softly as I hugged her and kissed her hair.

"Why don't you stay in the mansion? I miss you." She stated sadly.

"I am leaving today." I informed as I held her hand and placed a soft kiss on her knuckles.

"Where?" She asked, puzzled.

"Boston." I replied and placed my hand into my pocket.

"Why? Your studies didn't start." She asked as sadness crossed her features.

"I need to go away from here and clear my mind." I replied.

"No, Alejandro. Please, don't go. Don't leave my mother and me alone. Dad left us. Now you are going to another city." She said as tears ran down her cheeks.

"Please, don't cry, mi hermosa. I don't leave you. I love you so much and I will always be beside you." I assured her and hugged her tightly in my arms.

"Does Mom know that you are going?" She asked, sobbing as she pulled back.

I gritted my teeth and shook my head. "No, I didn't tell her, and I will not."

"Why? And what happened between you and my mother? I know something happened between you and her." She asked.

I breathed deeply and wrapped my arms around her shoulder, pulling her closer to me and hugged her tightly without answering her questions. I placed a soft kiss on her forehead and cupped her cheeks.

"If you need anything, call me. I promise I will call you every day." I promised and gave her a reassuring smile.

"Promise?" She asked, sobbing.

"Promise." I said, smiling and hugged her.

Andrea's POV

The next day, I called him again, but now his phone was turned off. As much as I tried to reassure myself that, he didn't really want to break up with me and it was related to his emotional state because he felt bad, but this hope was disappearing day by day. Suddenly, my phone rang, interrupting my thoughts. I looked at it quickly. I sighed, depressed. It wasn't Alejandro, but his sister. The last hope disappeared as she informed me that Alejandro went back to Boston.

A week had passed since I talked to Lucia on the phone. I hadn't left my room nor ate properly. I felt so weak and numb. As much as my parents and Eva forced me to eat something or go somewhere, I refused.

As I felt thirsty, I turned around in my bed and grabbed my glass. I breathed deeply, annoyed as there was no water in it. I pulled the cover away and dragged myself out of the bed. I put on a robe and walked out of the bedroom. I placed my hand on the wall for support as I felt dizzy. My legs were weak. I was barely walking downstairs. I grabbed the railing as my head spun. My vision was blurry. Suddenly, I lost my balance and fell down the stairs.

I screamed, placing my hand on my belly as I felt a sharp pain in my stomach, laying in front of the stairs. Suddenly, my vision darkened.