Chapter 9 - Darker

"There are many ways of breaking a heart. Stories were full of hearts broken by love, but what really broke a heart was taking away its dream – whatever that dream might be."

Andrea's POV

When I opened my eyes, I was in the hospital. My parents and Eva were beside me. I looked around, dazed. My mind was fuzzy. My heartbeats increased when I remembered what happened. Suddenly, the door opened and the doctor and a nurse walked in.

"My baby? How is my baby?" I asked in panic, placing my hand on my stomach and tried to sit up.

"Lie down, honey." My mother said, worried as she approached me, full of sadness in her eyes.

"How is my baby? Is my baby fine?" I asked, concerned as my eyes welled up.

My parents and Eva averted their gazes without saying anything. There was something bad. My heart was pounding. My hands got cold. I was so worried about my baby.

"I am sorry, but unfortunately, we couldn't save the baby." The doctor responded, giving me a compassionate look.

I looked at him, stunned. No, it couldn't be possible. He was lying. No, my baby wouldn't leave me. I needed him. My baby was my everything.

"No, it can't be true. No! It isn't true. You are lying." I snapped as tears ran down my cheeks.

"Andrea, dear. Please." My mother gave me a begging look as she held my hand.

"Mom, he is lying." I mumbled, crying as I grabbed her hand.

"Dear..." My mother gave me a begging look as tears ran down her cheeks.

"No! I don't believe you. What did you do to my baby?" I snapped, crying and tried to get up, but my mother and Eva didn't let me.

"No, my baby is fine. No! Let go of me!" I screamed, crying hysterically and pulled my arms away roughly. "You are lying!"

"Please, Andrea. Lie down. You are not fine." My father pleaded.

"Let go of me! I will not stay here. You want to hurt my baby." I barked, crying and tried to get up, but my mother, Eva and the nurse didn't let me by grabbing my arms.

"Mom, he is lying." I mumbled, crying as I looked at her with teary eyes. She averted her gaze while tears were running down her cheeks. I turned my gaze from her to Eva. "Eva, they are lying. Tell me, please! How is my baby?" I asked as I grabbed her arm.

"Andrea, please. Calm down." She gave me a begging look, sobbing. My father turned around as he wiped his tears off his cheeks.

"No, it isn't true. All of you are liars. Liars! I can't lose my baby." I barked while crying hysterically. "My baby was the last thing left from him." I mumbled and pursed my lips together.

The doctor gestured to the nurse. The nurse took a needle and approached me.

"Let go of me!" I screamed, struggling, but my mother and Eva didn't let me.

After the nurse had given an injection, my eyes slowly closed.

A few days later

I was laying on my bed in my bedroom. I hadn't left my room since I came home. I felt numb. I didn't want to leave my bed nor see anyone. My heart was still arching. It felt like I couldn't breathe properly.

Lucia had been calling me, but I didn't pick up her calls. I didn't want to talk to anyone. Fortunately, she stopped calling me after my mother lied to her and her mother that I went to Italy, and I was planning to stay there for a while. I asked my mother not to tell anyone about what had happened. I didn't want Alejandro to hear about it. Actually, I didn't think he would be interested in my well-being, but I still asked my mother not to tell anyone about it.

Suddenly, the door opened and my mother walked in, closing the door behind her. I didn't look at her nor say anything while lying on the bed. She approached me and sat down beside me on the bed. She sighed and stroked my hair gently. I looked away, lost in my thoughts.

"How are you, honey?" She asked, concerned while stroking my hair gently. I shrugged my shoulders without saying anything. She breathed deeply and asked. "Who was...the father of your baby?"

I closed my eyes shut, trying to hold myself from crying. Even mentioning my baby made my heart tighten. I pursed my lips together and sighed.

"It isn't important anymore. I lost...my baby." I mumbled as tears ran down my cheeks and wiped my tears off my cheeks with the back of my hand.

She gave me a compassionate look and sighed.

"Did he know? You should inform him." She said softly and placed her hand on top of my hand.

"No, he didn't know. I didn't have an opportunity to tell him, and now..." I couldn't finish my sentence as I burst out crying.

She gave me a sad look and placed a soft kiss on my hair, stroking my hair gently.

"Do I know him? If you want, I will talk to him and inform him. He should know about it." My mother said softly.

"No! It doesn't matter anymore." I mumbled sadly and shook my head.

I woke up with a pounding headache the following morning. I got up and went to the bathroom. I thought maybe, taking a shower would help me feel better.

After taking a shower, I went to the walk-in closet and put on a white shirt and gray sweatpants. As I wanted to walk out, I stopped. I breathed deeply and approached the drawer. I opened it slowly while my heart was pounding. I pursed my lips together and took a pair of white shoes.

"My baby..." I mumbled, stroking the shoes as tears ran down my cheeks uncontrollably.

I placed a kiss on it and pressed it into my chest tightly as I leaned against the wall, crying hysterically. I slid down the wall and sat down on the floor. I pulled my legs towards my chest and stroked the shoes gently while crying.