Chapter 5

• • •

• • •

"We'll never get free 

Lamb to the slaughter."

• • •

Bucky's POV

Just as Steve had got Wolfie's name, the face recognition had finally finished searching the database, pulling up numerous photos and files from over the past 70 years.

After a few swipes of his finger, Stark had pulled up an old copy of a hydra file.

• • •

Project: Beta

Project: Beta

Name: N/A                                   Blood Type: o

Gender: Male                             DOB: 11/02/1953

Relatives: Unknown.

Abilities:  Project Beta currently has shapeshifting capabilities into two distinct wolf forms. Form one continues to be used in training. However, form two is more desirable due to the puppet-like response.

Weakness: The support has formed an alpha-to-beta bond with the Winter Soldier - more research and experimenting into this bond is needed.

Trigger Words: Burning, decay, zero, moon, infant, fifty-three, geniãl, tyro, beta.

Handler: The Winter Soldier

• • •

As soon as I glanced over his file, something just clicked.

*Flashback*

My back rested against the uncomfortable prison mattress as I stared at the concrete ceiling, trying to remember who I was. The sound of footsteps echoing down the corridor towards me brought me out of my trance. 

Sitting upright, I prepared as the guard rattled the key to unlock my cell. However, what entered the room I was not prepared for. 

"Soldier, your new mission: train project Beta. He will be your MPC, military mutt. Try not to kill him," One of the guards said with a grimace while they chucked a young boy down into the middle of the room.

As quick as they had entered, they were gone. Leaving me alone with the small framed, unconscious boy. After a few minutes, his eyes fluttered open with a quiet whimper, glancing around the cell until his eyes landed on me. 

He held my curious gaze until he retreated quickly into the corner of the cell, as far from me as possible, cowering in fear.

*Present time*

"Buck. Bucky. BUCKY!" Steve was in front of me, trying to coax me out of my thoughts and back into reality. 

"I remembered who he is. It was such a small flashback of when I first met him. He was so small, so terrified.  Everything felt so real. It was like I was back there". I breathed out, my face losing all its color as if I had seen a ghost.

"I know, Buck. It's okay; you're in Shield, not back at Hydra." Steve said, reassuring me that I was safe, as his hand on my shoulder rubbed small circles into my tense frame. 

"But what are we going to do with Wolfie? He's Hydra. Or was." Steve sighed, eyebrows frowning, causing a crease to appear in between his brows.

"We have to help him, Steve. We can't just lock him up somewhere like what Furry would have us do. We need to help him as you did for me." I pleaded, looking for some reassurance.

Edited 22/09/22