Chapter Two

By the time I woke up the next morning, my brothers were already gone. 

The only evidence that they had been here at all was the empty plates by the sink that they hadn't been able to wash up yet.

Like I mentioned, I worked in one of the Garment factories. My uniform was a plain, white calico dress, my black hair was pulled back by a grey headband. On my back were the numbers 9870, another way of identification. Just below the numbers were the words, 'Garment Division Two' which was the part of the factory I worked in. I smoothed out my dress and took a bite of the stale bread that was left out on the bench as we didn't have anywhere else to put it.

I pocketed my entry card to the factory and pushed open my door, allowing the sun's harsh rays to light up the inside of my house. I stepped out and closed the door, walking onto the pathway and joining a line of girls with the same 'Garment Factory' on their backs. I didn't know many people who were in front of me. It wasn't worth making friends, not when the chance of them dying abruptly or being taken was so high. Elijah and Isaiah had brought home a couple of friends, their guests usually bringing some food so we didn't have to go hungry for the next month.

It didn't take long for the factory to come into view, A large building. It's colour a dark murky grey. Large windows that had no glass in them. I had seen my fair share of jumpers, some were successful, others were stopped before they could jump. The wolves didn't like spending money on us when they didn't have too, resulting in the lack of glass in the windows. As we approached the entrance, I saw the two wolves standing in their blue guard uniforms standing in front of the doorway. 

I grabbed my employment and entry card out of my pocket and held it loosely in my hand, ready to show the guards when I reached the front of the line. The girl in front of me reached the guards, her entire body trembling.

A guard extended his hand, "Full name, age, employment card." He said harshly,

"I-I don't-t-t hav-ve my car-r-rd," She stuttered, her trembling becoming worse and worse.

The guard peered at her threw his sunglasses, "You don't have your employment card?" He asked her, Smirking slightly at her when she shook her head.

"Hmm." He turned to the guard next to him, "You know what to do." The other guard nodded in reply before latching his arm on the girl's shoulder, pulling her around until he had both of her hands in his grasp before pulling her away from the line, muffling her screams as she was taken away into the darkness.

Never to be seen again.

"Full name, age, employment card." The guard said, bored. His hand extended,

"Elora Lynn Reed, Nineteen," I replied quietly, handing the card in his direction. He snapped it out of my hand and looked over the information, 

"Proceed."

I hurried past him, letting out a breath when I was out of his gaze. From there I went up the stairs, twisting and turning until I reached Level Seven. I knew that every level looked the same, the only difference was what they did. Eight long lines of desks, each accompanied by a sewing machine. Next to each desk was a box, full of the material that needed to be sewed. There were about five guards, each walking around the room, snarling when they caught someone slacking off.

I walked down the middle aisle up to desk 43, my desk being one aisle away from the window. The girl sitting there had been there all night, as soon as she noticed me she stood up and quickly rushed out of the room, her hands bandaged and bleeding.

I sat down and placed my hand on the piece of material that was waiting in the machine. I pressed my hand onto the peddle and slowly began moving the material underneath it, slowly stitching it together.